Wednesday, September 12, 2018

High and Dry in Midst of Monsoon

BRS Inherited her Father's Eating Technique

If there is one thing Panama has no shortage of, it is water, especially this time of year where you can almost set your clock by the afternoon downpour which brings to mind the old expression – “Like a cow pissing on a flat rock”. There seems to be a lot more energetic thunder and lightning than I remember from earlier years but I was sitting in my mother in law’s living room yesterday afternoon as we were in the midst of one such inundation when the maid came in to report the water supply to the house had failed. It was a weird juxtaposition to be literally swimming in water but still being without in the house. It eventually seeped back on sometime overnight but we woke up this morning without water again.
Water Run to Brother in Law's House Today
Yesterday was spent with another episode I can add to my book on adventures with the Panamanian governmental bureaucracy. We showed up at the immigration office with our lawyer/fixer who had stopped by there the day before so they could review the paperwork and was assured we were all set. Our turn came up and the clerk said we needed to get the paz y salvo certified/verified. This was document we finally obtained after a series of adventures on the Panamanian internet last week. We were back here trying to do that with a Wi-Fi that went out just as we were about to send the required information. We packed up all the computers and went to the lawyer’s house where she had a more tractable internet connection but with no additional success getting the needed certification. Thoroughly frustrated after a couple of un-air conditioned hours I suggested we go to the originating office and asked why their system wasn’t working. The Panamanian women looked at me like I was cross-eyed but they didn’t have a better idea so off we went.
FBR Almost Ready to Take the Wheel

BRS Having a Ball
The clerk at that office said that we couldn’t verify our own document and that it had to be done at the office requesting the certification; in other words – back where we started the day. We returned to the immigration office and after the requisite 45 minute wait a clerk called us forward and almost routinely obtained the required certification. Our collective heads almost exploded at this point and it was probably fortunate the incompetent/lazy clerk that sent us down the erroneous path was not present. I told my Favorite Panamanian she could not lash out at her when she returned because we still had to get through this process and bureaucrats always band together. We finally got through everything. I got a new card and we have to wait to see if the next step, yet another interview to confirm my Favorite Panamanian and I are still married, can take place before we have to head home or will require another trip.
Yeah, I Know I'm Cute

And I can Sit Up Now

FBR Imposed Incarceration
The Incarcerator
I had a very entertaining FaceTime call with the FBR last night which helped wash away a lot of the day’s frustration and lack of potable water. We came up with a game where I convinced her if she closed her eyes she would send me jail. While her eyes were closed I put the IPad on the other side of the security bars nearly all Panamanian houses have and when she re-opened her eyes it looked like I was behind bars. She quickly picked up on this and after four or five iterations I had to convince her I had finally escaped and closing her eyes wouldn’t incarcerate me any further, because there is no game she enjoys that she does not want do at least fifty times. My son also sent the accompanying pictures and video where the BRS seems to be embracing solid foods with the same level of etiquette as her father at the same age, is also sitting up, and in the video crawling for the first time.
Birthday Boy
Finally today is the birthday of a man who has been one of the closest things I’ve had to a brother for more years than I can truly credit. Keene Friend came to work for me this past year and is making me look like a hero for his quiet competence and thorough professionalism. I’m a little bummed to be so far away on his birthday and not just because I’m sure he has running water. Pay no attention to the traitorous shirt he’s wearing, he did that to placate the Pittsburgh College Roommate during a visit there. Keene Friend is one of the finest persons I’ve met in this ever longer voyage through life and I count myself incredibly fortunate to call him my friend.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got invole din planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latin friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment