Friday, September 28, 2018

Days of Birth

The Birthday Girl and Very Lucky Mentee

Today is the anniversary of one of the two days I will remember to the end of mine. Too many years ago than it is prudent to highlight my daughter entered my life for the first time and it is a moment I will treasure forever. Following a very long day of labor (nearly 20 hours) my Favorite Panamanian was rushed into the operating room for an emergency C-section. Too soon to credit as I waited with my mother in law the little miracle was wheeled out for my inspection. I was stunned and reached down to touch her foot before they wheeled her away. I really did feel a lurch in the cosmos and a bond formed that cannot be adequately explained. It’s something I tried to prepare my son for earlier this year before the arrival of the BRS.
And Because Every Year i Drag photos From the Past
Purely for Entertainment Purposes
She’s grown into a remarkable woman and a superb mother in her own right. It’s part of the cosmic justice scale that she is now mentoring the FBR and faced with the same level of intelligence and spirit that her mother and I were confronted with in her. It was a confrontation that brought me an unending amount of joy and abject pride in the young woman she evolved into. One of the proudest accomplishments of my life will being able to claim I’m her father. Happy Birthday Heart – you’ve redeemed every hope we’ve ever had for you.
And Her Brother as Well
The BRS made another step forward in her all too rapid development. We received this video of her late yesterday which captured her newest move – standing up. She’s only been crawling for a couple weeks so this is happening way too fast, much to Riggins’ consternation. The best part is near the end when she looks around with obvious joy and pride at accomplishing her feat. This is going to be a young lady with serious talent, something that runs in both her families on the female side.
Birthdays were kind of a theme yesterday since we caught up with Keene Friend’s also. His passed while we were down in Panama and he is too auspicious an individual to let that event pass unmarked. My wife and I took him out to dinner last night and then, since he is definitely part of the family, was allowed to wield the family’s ancestral sword, Bonecrusher, to cleave a birthday cake. It was a fun day that also included a major development in the home renovation project as the old house was connected to the addition with the new doorway framed.
Bonecrusher Deployed

Mid-Cleave

New Doorway
Yesterday also involved the contentious confirmation hearings for supreme court nominee Kavanaugh. At the end of the day I’m still not certain who was mistaken (lying) about what happened all those years ago. I was more struck by the evidence of just how dysfunctional our legislative body has become. This wasn’t about the two people involved, both of whom’s lives have been irrevocably altered. This was a process where information was withheld by the democrats until the last minute in an attempt to delay voting in the hopes of a change in senate leadership in November. The republicans have no one to blame but themselves for playing a similar game in Obama’s last year in office. We’re all the loser in this disgusting episode that’s become all too common. I keep waiting for this generation’s Joseph Welch to rise, “Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got invole din planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latin friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment