Thursday, July 26, 2018

Unequaled

Birthday Boy and his New Buddy

Today is not a day that I take lightly because it marks the anniversary of the birth of my Favorite Son. He’s become the man I could see hidden behind the mop of blonde hair and earnest facial expressions I saw throughout the years of his youth. That means he’s exceeded any expectations I held which were lofty to begin with. These past few months he’s evolved into a new role that he ideally suited for – father. Although on certain levels I find it hard to believe my little superman is a father in his own right – that is only because I’m into denial mode when it comes to my own age.
Great husband to ABFA

Superb Father to the BRS

My Best Friend
He truly has become the man he was destined to be and that’s not easy for anyone, much less an Army brat towed all over the world with a father absent for long periods of time. The cool thing about having adult children is getting to know them as equal, fellow adults. In the last decade I’ve come to fully appreciate the depth of my Favorite Son’s character. He’s succeeded at every test life has thrown him. I’d like to be able to take credit for some of that evolution but as I said above I recognized the inherent quality from his earliest days.
Superman From Earliest Age

Making Christmas Dinner Together

Hanging with the BRS
He’ll pooh pooh these comments of an overly proud dad (which I am, of course) but I know that anybody reading this who knows him will acknowledge the simple truth. He’s an outstanding husband to the ABFA and a fantastic father to the BRS. Despite this and a very successful professional career he’s best at the first role he ever took on – a son truly sent form heaven.
New Trees on Either Side of Door
My Favorite Panamanian finally acquired a long held dream of owning a pair of curly-cue pine trees to flank the front door. I’m not sure where the fascination with this specific set of flora came from but it was undeniable. She scoured central Massachusetts yesterday before finally locating an acceptable pair in Auburn. I returned home on a hot rainy afternoon with the task of sticking them into the ground. Luckily she was distracted by moving all of the first floor furniture around so I was able to work unsupervised. I do not know where she gets the energy.
On Tuesday night we went to see Equalizer 2 on date night. Denzel is back in John Creasy mode as the semi-silent predator inflicting justice where needed. This sequel didn’t play as well as the original because it tried to jump into international espionage instead of keeping the equalizing local, which was the strength of the story. The action sequences were everything that could be hoped for although there was too much thoughtful consideration liberally spiced between them. I get it, watching Denzel operate can be mesmerizing, but the director seemed to forget all about pacing as he almost lovingly lingers on Denzel in pensive mode. This is a perfect role for Denzel because he brings the gravitas needed for vigilante justice to be acceptable. Despite all this it’s well worth the watch if only to see the pre-eminent actor of this generation in peak form.

No comments:

Post a Comment