Friday, July 6, 2018

Sublimity Achieved

Together Again!
I was transported thirty years into the past yesterday when I arrived home. I opened the door from the garage into the house and the FBR screamed in delight and ran into my arms for one of her signature hugs. I say transported because the serene young lady sitting in the living room, my daughter, the FBR’s mom, did the exact same thing on a regular basis when I returned home from work three decades ago. I thought my heart would burst. I had to be careful not to squeeze too hard.
Craft Time with Abuela at her New Table
Work yesterday had been a little challenging given the holiday shenanigans of Wednesday since I desecrated my usual edict against beer consumption on the day before a work day. The impending arrival of the New Jersey contingent only added to the distracting nature of the day. It didn’t help that the morning started very early with my wife and I moving furniture from one bedroom to another to accommodate Deckzilla Dude’s progress on hard wood floor installation. Kudos to my Favorite Panamanian since I escaped to work while she spent the rest of the day getting the construction zoned house ready for the visitors.
The Artist at Work

Assisted by a Decorated Abuela
She was rewarded for her efforts with some grandpa-free time with the FBR after they arrived in the early afternoon. My wife bought a small folding table for the FBR (and eventually the BRS) which was soon devoted to finger painting and other assorted crafts – such as abuela decorating (stickers were involved). For some unknown reason the FBR is a huge fan of me and she assumed firm control of my activities when I arrived.

She showed me the pool I had set up for her on the deck and we were soon splashing away in the heat. We invented a game where a ball was placed on the overhead rails and then fell into the pool between us splashing both of us. I was responsible for lifting the FBR up so she could place the ball. Apparently this was a lot of fun because we did it forty or fifty times. I did note that the FBR is substantially heavier than she used to be and by the fortieth lift I was looking around for a new game.
Aftermath of my Welcome Home Hug

Summoned to the pool
Luckily a run through the sprinkler was just what was needed and the FBR was soon prancing around the yard when she wasn’t surreptitiously grabbing handfuls of pebbles and launching them into the air. Pre-dinner activities concluded with a reading session where she brought a book out to my wife and I and demanded I read it “with” not “to” her. She did correct my pronunciation a couple times along the way.


That Fortieth Lift

Success!
Since the FBR had enjoyed the shady afternoon on Deckzilla she decided we should all eat dinner out there which was a capitol idea. Around this same time my Favorite Son checked in from New Hampshire which allowed the BRS to grunt at the FBR, much to the FBR’s delight. We head up there tonight to reunite the cousins in preparation of the BRS’ baptism tomorrow. I was then summarily ordered to the Man Cave where I redeemed the promise I made on numerous phone calls over the past couple months and the FBR and I watched Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer. Since this was the seventieth time I’ve seen it on the past year I was dozing a couple times. The FBR, upon noticing this, solved my fatigue by climbing atop my head after a vigorous jump onto my sleeping lap. This had a tendency to get my attention.
Sprinkler Time

Having successfully sucked all of the energy out of all adults present the FBR finally deigned to retire for the night. This allowed some rare “hang-out” time with both Wingman and my daughter in, of course, the Man Cave. A movie might have been involved. After my workout this morning I was preparing breakfast when I started to hear the ABC’s expertly recited over the baby monitor. My wife shortly thereafter descended with the awakened FBR. She was soon sitting in my lap and asserting eminent domain over my breakfast. Sublimity, indeed.
Reading Time with Grandparents


Filling a Bird Feeder
Some of the Seeds Made it Inside the Bird Feeder

Dinner Al Fresco



No comments:

Post a Comment