Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Lining Up

The Colormeister with a Prescient t shirt Message
Ahh Mondays!!! While the first day of the work week is bad enough, when it follows a weekend where I got to hang out with my most excellent high school classmates as well as one of the granddaughters – it’s almost too much to bear. I have my weekly staff meeting on Monday morning and as I was looking around the table trying to focus I was imagining how much I’d rather be back at Scores on Saturday or the Sea Dog Brewing Company on Sunday. Life, however, is uniformly unfair in this regard as time maintained its awkward tendency to keep moving inexorably forward. I guess that’s what makes the fleeting intervals spent with important people so special.
The Result with Obligatory Stickers as Well
Regarding special. My wife and I had a very nice FaceTime chat with the FBR last evening while she was devouring gnocchi. My daughter’s train was running late so Wingman was alone scrambling to keep up with the FBR’s consumption rate which was almost terrifying. Earlier in the day Wingman reported a milestone in the coloring book arena. The FBR has always been a big fan of coloring in general and coloring books specifically. She’s always taken the abstract artist approach and the resulting creations resemble a Jackson Pollock creation. Wingman, as he is wont to do, spent some time with his daughter yesterday explaining what coloring inside the lines was all about. No further instruction as needed and she immediately began doing it. He sent the evidence which was truly impressive. My son and I had the same reaction when we saw it – she’s already better at this than we are.
After chick flick purgatory on Sunday my wife and I were back at the theater last night to see something blow up and the usually explosive Rock was a seemingly perfect solution in Skyscraper. This was a formulaic rip off of Die Hard without the needed edge or sly humor. This surprised me because Johnson is so good at this type role but he may be starting to take himself too seriously. He’s framed with starting a fire in the tallest building in the world that traps his family above the fire. The predictable demonstrations of the Rock’s upper body strength ensue as despicable bad guys pursue a laughably bad plan to destroy the building. Neve Campbell is a welcome addition as the competent wife and the Asian actors were particularly good. They couldn’t rescue this however as the Rock playing sensitive is not what we go to see a Rock movie for. There were a lot of acrophobic inducing stunts but this played more like a TV disaster movie versus a summer blockbuster. A rare miss for the Rock while playing in his strong suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment