Friday, January 17, 2014

Vacation Eve!

Another morning driving in through ice fog only further embellished my absolute joy at starting my first real vacation in two years tomorrow. I’ve really found it hard to concentrate at work for the past few days as the siren song of the tropics has buffeted my subconscious as departure day approaches.
Serious Beckoning Going on Here
Yesterday was spent charging around getting things done in preparation for the absence, including as new dog license for Buddy.  I first had to sit through a board meeting, always a joy with the “Voices of Inappropriate Worth” out in force and at full throat.  It was somehow easier to take knowing I’ll be sitting on a beach next week while they’ll be welcoming the return of winter weather in beautiful downtown Worcester. 
Buddy Sporting his New License
Making it Incrementally Harder to Sneak up on the Squirrels
One of the toughest things about this prep phase was the departure of my boon companion, Buddy the Wonder Pooch.  My sister always welcomes the opportunity to get what she refers to as her “Buddy Fix” and it makes me feel good to have him hanging around with people he knows versus a kennel.  It was still hard to let him go, he’s become such a fixture in my life.  We’re almost like codependents with my wife being gone. 

I drove Buddy down to Rhode Island and he immediately fell into his routine with his cousin Bailey.  He did get nervous when he spied me edging towards the door to leave.  My sister mentioned the word “treats” and his devotion to his stomach overcame his heart.  I’m sure he’ll enjoy his time in the discipline free zone for pets that my too kind sister operates in.
Bailey and a Demonically Happy Buddy in the Land of Constant Treats
I returned home to pack my suitcase, compressing my wife’s usual week long exercise into a mere twenty five minutes (she would have been aghast at my lack of indecisiveness).  Sitting down to watch a really bad movie is when Buddy’s absence really hit home.  It wasn’t just that I no longer had to provide a security screen around my snack either.  I’ve really grown accustomed to sharing life with him over the past week, having him fall asleep next to me on the couch, and trying to push me out my seat.
Sing it Harvey!  Next Week's Weather Map!
Watching the evening weather news cheered me up considerably; especially when they started talking about next week’s forecast.  The January thaw is ending abruptly (and if I might say appropriately) a few hours after my plane leaves.  The words frigid and sub-zero wind chills were thrown about to describe the days I’ll be lounging on the aforementioned beach. So.  Cheers!!!  I do feel a little guilty (who am I kidding!). 
Wednesday and Thursday - To The Beach!!!!!!
I did receive some telephonic spousal counseling last night on my fashion choices for the past week; especially when I revealed the color pants I wore (who knew that was important?).  My evil plan to ensure she feels obligated to return, if only to rescue the general public from my fashion choices, seems to be taking root.

Dress Down Fridays Are Fraught with Lesser Peril

No comments:

Post a Comment