Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Maine Line New Years Eve

Okay, yeah, I know, late post today; give me a break, it’s New Years Day.  I even have a better excuse than a throbbing head ache (something my son can’t claim – more on that in tomorrow’s post).

First some old business; I saved myself a thousand dollars or so by investigating my water heater leak on the internet.  It turns out there’s this overflow valve that’s supposed to be drained at least one a year.  I’ve lived here for eight years and this was the first I’ve heard of it.  Yeah, I know; ignorance is no excuse.  I eventually found this valve, conveniently located in a well hidden spot with a microscopic note on it about the required annual draining.  I think the local plumber who installed it did so to insure the kind of phone call I was preparing to make.  I opened the valve, drained some seriously sludge like stuff out, and the leak has stopped!  My bank account thanks you, oh wise and mighty internet.

On Monday night the wife and I took in American Hustle which sports the same team that made Silver Linings Playbook.  This was a dark comedy about the Abscam scandal of the 1970s.  It has some incredibly funny lines along with the cringe worthy styles of the 70’s.  A lot of it was shot in Worcester which has large portions that haven’t changed since that time; so we’ve got that going for us.  The two female leads Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence just dominate this movie which was very entertaining despite my wife’s sleeping through better than half ( she was stoking up her body for New Years Eve – as you will see).  The movie also sports the most incredible hairpiece/comb over in the Western Hemisphere courtesy of none other than Batman himself.  Great flick, do yourself a favor and check it out and marvel in the glory that was the 1970’s, and Worcester, of course.

Last year the wife and I stayed home for New Years Eve and this was not the way God intended a certain Panamanian to pass her favorite day of the year.  She loves New Years Eve as much as I love Christmas (hard to imagine but true).  Since no one around here was throwing a party she cast her net even further this year.

One of her best friends and a founding member of the Latina Mafia was throwing a party and it was in driving distance (barely).  The friend lives just a little south of Bangor, Maine which is a bit of a hike from here.  She was not to be denied and after working a half day I was firmly placed behind the wheel of the car and instructed to drive due north.  We made it about 15 miles before I was instructed to turn around because she’d forgotten her make up gear and a lady does not travel without those accouterments.  She turned a completely deaf ear to my proposed alternatives and we eventually got on the road again.
My Wife Stalked by a Maine Moose Near an Ice Covered Tree
The drive went by pretty quickly although my co-pilot has abandoned her post with the advent of the I-Phone app – “What’s Up!”   This allows her to text and chat with her sisters and other friends down in Panama.  This was the quietest long trip we’ve ever taken except for when she broke out into peals of laughter at the latest joke from down south.  As soon as we passed Portland the temperature dropped by twenty degrees and the snow at the side of the road seemed to grow with each passing mile.  When we passed Augusta all the trees were coated with ice.  It was dark by then but it was clear we had entered the North Country which was confirmed when we pulled into my wife’s friend’s house between two huge snow banks.
The Party Underway

The DJ At Work

Linking up With Old Friends

The Dance Floor

My Wife (R) and Her Friend the Host
The New Year’s Eve party was everything my wife hoped for as the Waterville chapter of the Latin Mafia showed up in droves and there was seldom a quiet moment as the dancing started early and didn’t stop the entire night except for an interlude with a singer accompanied by a guitar, fiddle and piano player (of professional quality each, no less).  My wife functioned as DJ and would give me the evil eye if I even thought about dodging my duties on the dance floor.  The group of friends assembled turned out to be some of the finest people we’ve ever hung out with.  There was even a couple that showed up in their wedding attire – just to make the night special.  These Mainers certainly knew how to party.
Some of the Beautiful Ladies
Around 2 am I was ready to declare victory and somewhat crankily hit the sack but my wife was not going to admit she was ready for the night to end.  She wanted this special time to continue since it was a rare night to hang out with old friends.  She didn’t join me until after 4am and admitted her friend’s head had started to bounce off the kitchen table even though she (my wife) was more than ready to continue talking.  A good night, a very good night, indeed.
Just After Midnight - Dancing Queen Still Ready to Party
Finally I achieved my goal of posting a blog entry every day last year.  There were a couple days that were near things but I’m kind of sneaky proud of that.  The only problem is that it’s become addictive.  The entire ride back today I was fretting that I was late posting to the blog.  Several people have mentioned that they like the blog (color me hugely surprised) but I’ve found I’ve come to almost depend on the daily fun of writing here.  As a wise friend recently mentioned; “He has feelings; Who Knew!”  So I’m going to keep inflicting myself upon you daily as long as I can get to the internet; consider yourselves warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment