Thursday, January 9, 2014

Begrudged Handling of Inevitability

Yesterday was the first full day of marital solitude and I focused on keeping busy.  Work made that extremely easy as I spent the entire afternoon immersed in the electro-magnetic spectrum translating one type of scheduling software into another (truly exciting stuff (I don’t know how to accent something to show the absolute scorn the last statement was made with)).

The very best thing was the hump day luncheon with my favorite son.  I tortured him during the weekly snapshot as he was sporting a summer jacket while I was safely ensconced in a thick winter coat.  The polar vortex was not kind to him and he reported during a hurried approach to the restaurant that he’d added a pea coat to his Christmas list for next year.  The lunch was everything I needed in terms of family contact and support.  I’m sure it’s supposed to be the other way around but he’s wise beyond his years and a lot of fun to hang out with.  We made tentative plans for the Robocop requested Portsmouth pub crawl (when it warms up).
A Very Cold Son
In search of expanding out of my normal literary comfort zone I just finished Chelsea Handler’s partial autobiography, My Horizontal Life:  A Collection of One Night Stands.  (I did say outside my comfort zone, didn’t I?).  I’ve always liked Handler’s ribald kind of humor and Amazon was kind enough to send an email with several kindle books on one day special including this one.   
Ms Handler is nothing if not frank as she walks the reader through her sexual adventures from teenage years through her rise to Hollywood success.  She’s incredibly funny throughout but for the sake of her frequently skewered friends and family I certainly hope she took some severe artistic license or these people will never speak to her again.

She’s irreverent and hopelessly hard on herself but it made for a very interesting read.  I left it with one thought, why couldn’t I meet a girl like this when I was young and available – but then again I hate to think what my chapter of the book would read like.  I guess I dodged a bullet there.

Back at home I started dismantling my wife’s vast inside Christmas ornamental panoply.  Uncharacteristically she’s trusting me this year with taking down her most prized holiday decorations.  She’s always worried about my process which prizes speed over ornament protection.  She bought a zip up bag for the spare fake Christmas tree which was a stone cold bitch to get the tree into. I found colorful language helped a great deal in that effort (Buddy found this whole event fascinating).

I ran out of things to take down and there was no way I’m attempting the outside decorations until we’re at least forty degrees warmer.  I did not want to face extended time contemplating the silence (my wife really does fill up a house, despite her small stature) so this meant another trip to the local cinema.  I think my car can make the trip without any guidance from me at this point.

I went to see Grudge Match which I didn’t have high hopes for based on what I’d heard about it, but c’mon Rocky Balboa against Jake Lamotta – I was going to see this movie.  While it certainly did have its awkward moments it was actually fairly enjoyable.  They went a little overboard trying to make connections back to the Rocky movie, some more blatant than others and Kim Bassinger was completely out of her league.
Stallone’s gone the lunkhead route for most of his career but he’s really not that bad an actor and more than holds his own with Deniro which is no mean task.  The movie is predicable but again, enjoyable.  It was the kind of movie I know I should dislike but I couldn’t help myself, a tribute to the two leads, ably supported by Alan Arkin, one of the funniest guys to ever draw breath.  The hardest thing to do was suspend disbelief that Stallone would not immediately mop the floor with Deniro in the ring, so maybe this was really an Oscar level turn for Deniro. 

I left the Skype line open all night but there was no contact with my tropical wife.  I think she’s deeply immersed with sister time and reveling in escaping the polar vortex with probably some dancing thrown in.  The photo below captures my initial foray into making my own fashion decision.  If I don’t pass inspection I can expect a call tonight (hmmm, maybe a technique there to maintain contact?)

No comments:

Post a Comment