Sunday, January 12, 2014

Her Lifting While Pats Impose Bad Luck

I was really at odds with what to do with myself when I woke up yesterday while waiting for the football games to start.  Then I remembered that I had to do all the many, all too unappreciated, chores my wife normally does for me.  So I was washing clothes, fixing a week’s worth of lunches, cleaning the house, oh and watering the plants (that last one was more for her than me). 

I’m a helpless victim to my own tendency to schedule everything; I think it might be some mild form of obsessive compulsiveness.  It’s more likely a result of all that time I spent hanging around with well armed friends.  The Army has a way of making you respect a scheduled and well ordered life.  I threw myself into the day with a fairly aggressive program to complete (I don’t know how my wife does this and still finds time to spend the majority of her time on the phone – just sayin).
Buddy Conducting One of His Security Sweeps As Lightbulbs Fall
Since the New England weather was in ascendancy yesterday I ventured out into the driving (but unseasonably warm) rain to recover more of my wife’s vast holiday decoration extravaganza.  Buddy appointed himself as site security officer in case any of the front yard squirrels attacked.  I was able to recover just about everything except the stakes which remain frozen in the ground – a reminder this January thaw is only skin deep and winter still lurks, ready to drop a frigid hammer upon us.
Final Evidence of Outside Christmas Packed Up For Another Year
In a huge surprise I even worked in some time for a movie around some of the various errands solitary life was forcing on me.  I went to see Her which my daughter had enthusiastically recommended.  As usual her opinion was spot on as I really enjoyed this quirky love story.  It’s a movie set in the near future where a lonely guy (Joaquin Phoenix) buys a new artificially intelligent operating system for his computer which is also self aware. 
He finds the operating system exactly what he needs in his life and they begin “dating”.  It helps that Scarlett Johansson is the unseen voice of the system (who knew her sexiest attribute was her voice!).  The movie is an excellent comment on the isolation some people feel despite the burgeoning ability to connect via technology.  Somehow it’s a sweet love story about a man and his machine, a tribute to the quirky director Spike Jonz.  A great movie that’s not half as creepy as it sounds, go see it.
Starting Out With The Pot Roast
One of my errands was to score an impressive hunk of dead animal flesh as I was attempting my first ever pot roast (in a crock pot – no less) which would serve as my lunch for the entire week.  I will admit to a couple calls to Panama to confirm culinary advice from the spousal unit.  Buddy was intrigued and spent the entire day circling the kitchen like a great white shark working his way up a chum line.  I had to order him off the counter three different times.  I don’t really blame him – it smelled great.
The Final Product and End of Buddy's Chum Line
I got everything done in time to immerse myself in playoff football starting at 4pm.  The first game involved the team I’ve taken to calling – Team Chickenshit, the Seattle Seahawks.  They are the most talented team in the league this year but every play seems to illicit some sort of celebration or the need to get in the face of the opponent players.  The NFL should be careful about allowing this type thuggery because the NBA didn’t and it cost them millions of fans.  The Seahawks won but it was nice to see them lose a bit of their preening swagger when the Saints made a game of it.
Buddy Watching the Game with Me - He Likes My Lounge Pants Too!
I was totally geared up for the Patriots game which unfolded the way I thought (hoped) it would.  All week long the Patriots had to listen to everybody talking about the Colts and their supremely talented young quarterback, Andrew Luck.  I could just imagine Brady listening to all this hype and plotting his revenge.

Luck immediately threw an interception which led to the Patriots’ first touchdown and they never looked back as they bludgeoned the Colts into submission with a frightening effective running game. 
Patriots Running Wild
In the pass happy NFL this was old school Patriots football.  The Colts lined up to stop the run and the Patriot just ran it down their throat until the Colts eventually cracked under the pressure.  Luck certainly showed flashed of the greatness that he will someday redeem but Brady was in full assassin mode.  These Patriots really remind me of the teams of ten years ago, opportunistic defense, ball control and overwhelming toughness.

Bit of Advice Pal - Don't Buy into the Hype - Respect Your Elders (Betters)
I had a lot to do yesterday because today I’m abandoned this solitary football watching and journeying up to my hometown to watch today’s games with the Keene Friend.  Go San Diego, more Manning face hopefully as that would mean a Patriots’’ home game next week.  That will be the biggest challenge next Sunday, finding a place to watch the Patriots in the AFC Championship game from Panama.  My wife watched the game last night and ensured me she would explore the possibilities.  Go Pats!

No comments:

Post a Comment