Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Davidian Pre-Deployment Day

Yesterday was my last full day in my wife’s home town of David.  It was also the hottest day of the visit which put everybody in what I call the “siesta zone”.  There wasn’t a lot of physical activity going on.  I checked the weather back home and it was literally a ninety degree difference, 5 degrees there and 95 here.  I’m not sure I’m entirely prepared for returning to that type environment, especially after all the snarky comments I’ve made here over the last couple weeks while sitting out the vortex in Panamanian paradise.

I spent the morning packing and then we took my mother in law out to lunch.  She loves to get out and about but since her husband’s infirm state she’s kind of  been trapped at the house.  She’s the only one that can reason with him and he gets extremely nervous if she’s out of the house for any extended time.  We returned to El Fogon and had a very pleasant time.  I could tell she really appreciated the break.
My Lunch Dates
The afternoon was spent out on the front porch where my wife says she spends most of her time during her visits.  There was almost a constant stream of people walking by and several stopped by for extended conversations.  It was always a lively exchange and I got a real sense of neighborhood.  I think the US was something like this before we were all imprisoned inside our houses by technology.  This also afforded my wife the opportunity to tackle the roving shave ice guy for a treat.
The Victim of my Wife's Ruthless Attack
My brother in law took all of his sisters and I out for a farewell dinner at Gallardo’s where I had the best steak I’ve had in years.  There were a baffling number of drinks as well as I drank in the exceptional comraderie that is always present when I’m hanging around with these people.
The Gallardo Crowd

I'm Not Sure Why; Alcohol Was Involved

And We Had Boy George Looking Out for Us!
My brother in law picked up the tab which was substantial by Panamanian standards.  It was more than my sister in law paid for the new metal parking space cover next to the house. 
The New Double Car Port Which Cost Less than Our Meal
I’m really going to miss these people.  Today I have my necessary trip back to Panama City for the flight tomorrow to the frigid USA.  This is probably the last blog post from Panama as there will not be time or internet connection tomorrow morning.  The next time I write will be a little chillier and in deep regret for my tropical snarkiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment