Sunday, November 4, 2012

Saturday Sit Back

A Very Unhappy Buddy
Yesterday was a cold, crispy, sunny New England late autumn day. My normal modus operandi on clearing the front yard of fallen leaves is to wait for the winds which scour our hilltop from October through April to move them down the road.  This year following the hurricane my system did not seem to be working as there were several deep piles of oak leaves persisting in the front yard. 

Since it was such a beautiful day Buddy and I went out to tackle the problem.  Buddy lasted about twenty minutes before his enthusiastic greeting of a female jogger resulted in his incarceration for the remainder of the effort.  I also learned why my system wasn’t working.  The hurricane had blown with such force that dozens of small sticks were literally embedded in the front yard and these served as an anchor for the squatting leaves. 

There was way too much to handle with the lawn mower so I filled up our rubbish bin three times and wheeled it to the back yard each time.  The wind was blowing (it is November) so raking the leaves was an adventure in and of itself.  I finally reduced the leaf population to where I could drop the big one – the riding lawn mower.  I was able to clear off the lawn and re-establish the wind tunnel clearance zones for the remainder of leaves.  I think I may have looked a little silly chasing down the single leaves that escaped the initial mowing.  My neighbor downwind must have been observing because he was out on his mower shortly thereafter to ensure the leaves would keep moving through his yard.

I decided to wait for the snow blower conversion on the advice of my life coach – I don’t think she was ready for the swearing that accompanies this annual event.  She said it was more important to give Buddy a bath – he was getting a little funky.  Buddy hates baths almost as much as I hate putting the snow blower together so it was kind of appropriate.  My wife who hates temperatures below 70 even worse than either of our dreaded activities stated that I had to use warm water for the bath.

While this was a very sympathetic stance, the logistics were not that easy.  I told her I could hook up the hose the washer but this would mean an open door and attendant cold wind into the house.  She vetoed that plan outright and directed I carry a large bucket of warm water outside.  Buddy wasn’t sure what was going on but as soon as I removed his collar he knew what was going down and firmly planted his feet to prevent going outside.  It actually worked out okay despite Buddy’s characteristic lack of enthusiasm for the activity.  He displayed his disdain later in the day by taking up residence on my wife’s favorite couch.  I think he thought since he was so clean he was authorized.  I’m sure the neighbors heard the wall shaking scream from my wife that followed that – I don’t think he’ll do it again.

The rest of the day was fairly lazy.  I even watched a couple of the really entertaining college football games.  Several of the remaining undefeated teams had challenging games. I love college sports because the athletes are not jaded the way they become as professionals and there is real emotion in the littlest of things.  Notre Dame won a game they should have lost – I think there may be something to the notion that some higher power might have moved their opponent’s seemingly easy field goal wide right.

The most entertaining game of the day was between two top five teams including the number one team in the nation.  While they were obviously the better team throughout most of the game Alabama was on the losing end in the waning moments of the game. They hadn’t been able to muster any kind of offense in the second half.  LSU then decided to change up their defensive scheme and Alabama promptly marched down the field for a winning touchdown.  Sometimes coaches are a little too clever, by half.  The best part of the game was my wife actually volunteering to watch part of the game with me.  She was drawn in by the pageant surrounding a big college game and it was a lot of fun explaining the rules of American football to her for the eight hundred and seventy-first time.  
Front Yard Before
Front Yard After - Wind Tunnel Re-established
Buddy Inspecting the Back Yard
 

No comments:

Post a Comment