Saturday, November 10, 2012

Fallen Mighty

Dumbass
I was just leaving the office yesterday when I “ran the traps” and checked the news on the internet before heading home.  I was shocked to learn of the resignation of David Petreaus as the CIA Director due to an extra-marital affair.  I had known General Petreaus since first running into him as a Colonel when I was a major.  He was already a legend in the Army even at that early point in his career.    

He was one of those guys everyone knew was headed for general officer rank and beyond.  He was a rare combination of intelligence, drive, and physical ability.  He survived being shot on a live fire range as a battalion commander and was always in the right assignment to make a difference.  While there were a lot of generals who should not have made the rank I was always content that in Petreaus’ case the Army got it right.

The news was jarring because he had a reputation for being an extremely moral and straight shooter.  He would always display the highest personal standards and expect the same from his subordinates – just what you want from a leader.  I admire the way he addressed the issue by accepting responsibility and not trying the Washington two step immortalized by Bill Clinton.  I really shouldn’t be surprised, my last assignment in the Army was leading an organization charged with conducting investigations of general officer misconduct.  I saw firsthand how admired leaders got caught up in their own notoriety – a lot of it for thinking with the small head instead of the one on their shoulders.

I feel bad for the country too because this was a guy with real talent and common sense.  He would have been a perfect replacement for Hillary Clinton as a Secretary of State to form some sort of coherent foreign policy in the Middle East which I consider Obama’s single biggest failure.  He was also potential presidential timber which is now lost forever, to our country’s detriment.  What a bozo!

Luckily both my wife and I have our colds in full retreat and a full dose of a Zorba’s medicinal pepperoni pizza certainly helped.  This was a week that seemed to drag on forever, mainly due to the cold.  When you’re feeling good the week just flies by.  The week was further extended when we finally watched via Netflix rental a movie my wife has badgered me incessantly for weeks to get – The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.  Despite a stellar cast this was a true exercise in pain to watch.  Near the end I looked over at my wife with an accusatory glance for having inflicting this movie on us and she just nodded accepting responsibility for her failure.
I’m truly psyched because my wife and I are traveling to celebrate Veteran’s Day tonight with a favorite cousin – party!  The time will probably fly by.
Painful

No comments:

Post a Comment