Sunday, November 25, 2012

Decompressing Departures

The Departing Scene
Yesterday we lost part of the crew as my Keene Friend, Son, and MEG had to leave.  One of the hardest things about having adult children is to accept that they now have lives of their own and choose to live them.  Sometimes it’s challenging to give up the role of center of the universe that young children accord parents.  We have to share time now and our loss was the MEG’s parents’ gain.  Most and definitely providentially, my daughter and son in law hung around to soften the blow of losing these excellent compadres.

After the whirlwind of activity over the past two days we were unquestionably due for a low key kind of day. I had to get up early to get a shipment of goods we are donating to a local charity out on the side of the street.  My wife claimed we were already too late at 8am but I said that, as remote as we are, there was no way we were first on the list.  My Keene friend provided able assistance as my wife tried to repack everything before I could smuggle it out to the spot.  She then opined that we probably had missed the pickup (not always the most optimistic of outlooks).  We looked out a little after 9am and everything was gone, so we either made the pickup or we have a hoarding neighbor.  It’s of little consequence.  I still get the tax deduction.

My wife prepared a fantastic departure breakfast complete with smoke alarm.  Buddy assisted me out on a very windy deck in grilling some kielbasa.  We then settled in for a welcome restful day of college football and movies.  My daughter had highly recommended Safety Not Guaranteed.  She even went to the extreme of buying it on Amazon and having it shipped to our house.  I’m glad she did because I loved the quirky characters and the arc they choose to find themselves.  It has one of the best endings possible.  If you love off beat comedies you should definitely check this one out.

Buddy was also recovering from his adventurous two days and spent most of the day sleeping on the couch at my side.  He seems to think my son in law enjoys his flatulence because Buddy only left my side to take up station next to my son in law to expel gas.  I think my daughter was thinking something about justice (based on her matrimonial experiences) except that she happened to be sitting next to her husband for Buddy’s emissions.

We also took in several very entertaining college football games including the very important Notre Dame – Southern Cal contest.  My son in law (and a couple friends up in Keene) was actively rooting for Notre Dame so we went with them and were rewarded with a hard fought victory.  Notre Dame seemed to have a lot more class as USC had the typical “Look at Me” type players you expect from today’s athletes.  College football is so much fun to watch at this time of year because they still attach the real emotion to the game that is missing at the pro level.  Notre Dame was impressive but I think Alabama is going to pulverize them in the national championship game (but I’m still going to root for the classier team).

While I missed the departed family members, having my daughter and son in law around made all the difference in the world.  I may never let them leave.
So Incredibly Lucky These Two Hung Aournd
Buddy's Position Most of the Day
The Premise of a Great Movie
Great Game!
The Early Morning Donation Pile
 

No comments:

Post a Comment