Monday, November 26, 2012

Fitting Conclusions

The Crew Watching the Red Zone Yesterday
Sometimes at the end of holiday weekends I am presented with a feeling that I could have done more, enjoyed the presence of my children to a greater degree, etc, etc.  I don’t have that feeling after this past, fantastic weekend.  It seemed everything went right, even if the time flew by and there was never enough time with these fantastic people – that is always the case.

My brother in law and sister came up to spend Sunday afternoon red zoning with us and it was so much fun.  We get busy and never have enough time to spend with them (fraternal soul mates sorta speak), something I had really looked forward to when I retired from the military.  Yesterday was one of those days where the easy familiarity and sense of family was predominating.  I love these people.

I’ve noticed a trend with Red Zone viewing.  Since I don’t care that much about the teams playing and the constant switching of games tends to be mind numbing (in a very good way) that each of the last two times I’ve watched I start falling asleep.  Weird.

After the fun afternoon we were faced with the prospect of negotiating the traffic quagmire that is Connecticut on a holiday weekend.  I finally did a map recon just before leaving and pinpointed a potential bypass of one of the most notorious choke points in Hartford.  With my daughter providing periodic updates from her I-phone on traffic conditions we found the by pass and were soon sailing towards New Haven.  I was a bit overly impressed with myself and started narrating the trip (I’m sure to the amused annoyance of my passengers).

It was the normal tough time leaving my daughter and son in law off at the train station.  My wife, who’s hesitant around technology, had been very impressed with my daughter’s traffic monitoring.  We were back on the interstate and she kept asking me questions which I politely, but pointedly mentioned that I was driving eighty miles an hour in holiday traffic and was not available for I-phone tutorials (not that I could have helped much).  To my immense pleasure and amazement she actually figured out how to use the application.  She was then providing me with mile by mile traffic reports.  She even predicted a traffic jam close to home that we were able to avoid.  I gave her all the credit even though I had already planned on taking the by-pass.  I was very proud of her. 

I am intensely proud of my family and friends, as well, they made this weekend everything it could have been and that was a tall order.

No comments:

Post a Comment