Sunday, April 15, 2012

Spring Sprung

My Wife with Our Friend's Granddaughters
Yesterday my wife and I attended a first communion dinner for the granddaughter of one of our friends.  It was a gorgeous spring day and the event was at a golf course in the middle of Worcester.  Green Hill Park was one of the hidden treasures of Worcester.  The city completely surrounds this huge park and it can only be reached by a carefully disguised road.  Once you’re there it’s hard to believe you’re in the middle of the city as you are surrounded by wooded hills and a rolling golf course.  It’s a really beautiful place and definitely was yesterday in on a clear sunny day.  The granddaughter’s actual first communion is today but since her grandmother, our friend, is headed out this morning for a trip to China, they had the celebration yesterday.  There was great food and company as well as a band of shrieking kids that I’m sure the golfers appreciated.  On the way home we toured through the rest of Green Hill Park and stopped by the state of Massachusetts Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial.  It was a very poignant visit and memorial is extremely well done, including letters from Worcester resident Soldiers to their families from Vietnam shortly before their death.  These letters are carved into granite pillars set in a reflecting pond.  My wife started crying after reading two.  We walked around the reflecting pond and thought about the sacrifices of that unappreciated group.  Yesterday I also made the decision to change the snow blower out for the lawn mower on my tractor.  I paid close attention to the extended weather report because whenever I do this usually means there is a freak snow storm on our horizon.  The weather forecast calls for 80 degrees on Monday, which I’m sure the runners in the Boston marathon will appreciate.  I’m working on a small puzzle my daughter brought back from Paris.  I don’t know what it is about the French but I guess they just like to piss people off.  Who makes a puzzle with no interlocking pieces!  This is the second time I’m doing it and my wife is enjoying my frequent references to French incompetence.  After thoroughly enjoying my ride through Stephen King’s most recent works I’ve started reading my next Chuck Pahlaniuk book.  Pray for me.  It starts out with, “If you’re reading this, don’t bother.”

Me, at the Memorial the Pillars are in the Background

No comments:

Post a Comment