Sunday, April 1, 2012

New Hampshire Thunder Run


My Friend and I Were Slightly Off Balance Last Night and Loving It
We had no special plans for this weekend so I was pleasantly surprised when my wife suggested we see if our friend up in my hometown was available.  A short phone call later on Friday night and we had plans for Saturday.  We woke up to an inch of snow on the ground which Buddy just loved but proved too small for a last hurrah for the snow blower.  We headed up to New Hampshire in the afternoon and my friend and I were very quickly ensconced at the Elm City Brewery attended by our favorite bar tender.  My wife, per plan, quickly disappeared to execute some tax free shopping.  My friend and I spent a great evening swapping stories and generally catching up with each other.  We decided one of the waitresses was a spitting image of my first fiancé, just tractably short in some respects.  We tried to reach out to another friend who might have been in town but waited until after a couple of beers and I learned today that the message over the din in the bar was mildly to completely unintelligible.  We had a simply great time together watching the NCAA final four get started and decided the margarita ice crushing machine had to be the greatest invention since the wheel.  My wife finally showed up and wondered why we hadn’t called her to bug her about being late – we were having too good a time to even think about it.  She shepherded up to the car and drove us (with enthusiastic coaching from my friend and I) to another favorite place, Margarita’s where we had dinner.  My friend always jokes about my “filter”, which keeps me from saying exactly what I’m thinking has a tendency to slip after a few beers at Margarita’s.  I totally, well almost totally, behaved myself.  After a great dinner my wife once again behind the wheel as we assisted her in navigating back to my friend’s home.  She only struck me vigorously once during the trip which I considered a win.  We had to get up and leave at 6am this morning because we were expecting a phone call at home from our son in Bishkek.  We made it home in plenty of time and enjoyed a nice long conversation with our son, who apparently had experienced a similar night in Kirgizstan at an ex-pat bar, so we could commiserate about that as well.  A great weekend.
Apparently My Camera Was Taking Feeds From My Brain
Buddy Surveying His Domain Yesterday Morning
 

No comments:

Post a Comment