Thursday, April 12, 2012

Denver Hate – Why?

I have always been a huge fan of John Denver.  I recently learned it’s something I should be ashamed of.  I’ve always been blessed with complete disdain from my children when it comes to my musical tastes – I think it has something to do with the bagpipes.  I got the same reaction whenever I played a Denver song and I thought it was part of the pavlovian response from them to any music I liked.  I recently caught part of a talk show, one of those where the metrosexuals try to show how smart they are and how blessed we are to be listening to them.  They started on this rant about how corny and totally uncool Denver’s music was and that anybody who listens to him is some form of inbred moron.  Denver was huge when I was in college.  He caught the incoming wave of country rock led by the Eagles.  I’ve always been a big fan of ballads (Edmund Fitzgerald anyone?) but Denver just seemed to celebrate life, the environment, and the outdoors.  What’s so bad about that.  He came to my college for a concert which I couldn’t afford to go to but people who did say it was one of the best shows they ever saw and they weren’t big fans of his going in.  I still listen to him sometimes during my commute to and from work and I still like him.  He died early being a better singer than he was a pilot.  I felt bad for him that these no talent hipsters were denigrating a guy with more talent than they would ever have.  If you genuinely like something – don’t listen to these idiots who profess to determine what is cool.  Decide for yourself, too much of our popular culture is dictated to us by no talent wannabes.   


No comments:

Post a Comment