Monday, November 7, 2011

Weekend Emoto Coast

This past weekend, starting on Friday, was an emotional rollercoaster that had me exhausted by Sunday night.  On Friday I made the decision to change jobs and revealed that decision to my client and my bosses.  I was very touched by the universal praise they all expressed for the job that I have done here and felt kind of nostalgic.  Later on Friday I signed the offer letter for the new job with the boss I loved working for – felt very enthusiastic.  I then hurried home to meet my son and his new girlfriend.  She turned out to be an absolute peach and my son is obviously severely smitten – felt contentment and paternal love.  Saturday was spent in an all day prep status getting ready for my wife’s annual Panamanian Independence Day party – felt harried.  My best friend showed up and we started greeting guests – felt contentment.  Shortly after the party started I received one of the most frightening phone calls of my life from a tearful brother in law who said while preparing to come to the party, my sister (one of the most important people in my life) had some sort of “event” in which she became confused.  My brother in law rushed her to the hospital where she was undergoing tests to ascertain if she had a stroke – felt absolute terror.  It was so good to have my best friend there as he provided immediate support that got me through the next couple of hours.  I would check out of the party every half hour or so to get an update from my brother in law – felt continual trepidation.  Eventually the news started getting better and her cognitive skills returned and I even spoke to her prior to her discharge from the hospital – felt elation.  At this point I threw myself into the party and consumed mass quantities of beer and cupcakes.  I had been staring at the cupcakes (one of my favorite food groups) for two days while being continually warned by my wife to leave them alone.  We ended up dancing the night away and enjoying the great company – felt emotionally drained.  Sunday we jumped in the car and went down to visit my sister.  She had experienced what is called Transient Global Amnesia and appeared totally normal.  We gave her a hug, talked for about an hour and headed home – felt relieved.  The New England Patriots defense managed to reverse the positive trend of my weekend by blowing a sure win with 15 seconds left – felt white hot anger.  Today – the emotions continue as I reveal my departure to the people who work for me – maybe some joy – at least for them – yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment