Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Reading – Maternal Legacy

Something I inherited from my mother and for which I am eternally grateful is my love of reading.  She instilled in me at a very early age that reading was a path to success.  She had a tough childhood in Rutland, Vermont and her lone refuge was the local library where she would spend countless hours reading.  She used the knowledge she acquired to break free of the cycle her family was in and actually declared her independence from her family when she was only 15.  This was unheard of in the 1940s but she was if anything, ruthlessly brave.  She always ascribed her courage and the drive to get an education to those early days spent reading.  During her last few years, whenever I came to visit I usually found her ensconced in her easy chair with a number of books close by.  After she passed away we were confronted with literally thousands of books that had built up over the years.  In a poignant moment, during the reading of her will, she bequeathed $1000 to the Rutland library for the positive effect on her life.  She was not a wealthy woman but she still felt the need to pass on that obligation; we were so proud of her.  She hooked me into reading by having me read things that she knew I would enjoy and we spent some long hours at the library finding books that would spark my interest.  I still remember the quiet calm and even the smell of those times in the library.  I still read daily, I love the kindle that my family bought for me but I do miss my forays to the book store – the only kind of shopping I can endure.  My wife has finally figured out that just because I am reading does not mean that I am screwing off and available for tasks.  Reading really is the path to enlightenment and more than anything else the reason I have achieved what success I have in life.  Thanks Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment