Monday, November 14, 2011

The Greatest Gift

Photo from a Few Years Ago with My Best Birthday Gifts
I’ve always felt that birthdays are important.  Even as I acquire a fairly robust stock of them I still get excited about them.  I always find out when the birthdays of the people that work for me are and make sure to wish them a happy birthday.  Birthdays are special.  I think this stems from my own childhood when that was the one day a year I really felt special.  My parents were “tough love” types that helped make me the man I am but at the same time didn’t inspire confidence through enthusiastic support.  I discovered my self-confidence on my own.  My birthday is tomorrow and I was given the best birthday possible this past weekend when both of my kids made the effort to spend some time with me.  They both bought me movies which is next to impossible because I literally have every movie I thought I ever wanted but they somehow managed to get it right.  They know me.  The greatest gift however was them.  I am so proud of them and just being around them makes me feel better.   They both live hectic lives of their own and could easily have begged off making the trip home to see me but there they both were.  I am constantly amazed at my good fortune with these two.  I was tough on them growing up but I think I did it better than their grandparents because they always knew they were loved as well.  I will go to my grave knowing my greatest accomplishment in life was being a part of the lives of these two extraordinary people.  I think every parent, if he/she is honest, has fears about getting it right in the raising of their children.  My children took all the mystery out of it for me by simply being the best possible people I could have hoped for.  This greatest gift still had me smiling early this morning as I drove to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment