Thursday, November 10, 2011

Last Lecture

R.I.P.
On the recommendation of my son’s most excellent new girlfriend I read The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch this week.  This is the chronicle of a college professor who was informed he had terminal liver cancer and was offered the opportunity to present a “last lecture” in which he passed on his life’s lessons, most importantly to his very young children.  I saw Mr. Pausch on Good Morning America shortly before his death in 2008, was struck by his optimism, and had always meant to get around to reading his book. I am exceedingly glad that I did and would recommend the book to anyone.  It was eerie to a certain degree in that he was saying a lot of the things I personally believe in, albeit in a much more lucid fashion than I am capable of.  He was five years younger than me but grew up with the same fascination for Walt Disney and Captain Kirk.  The book also fleshed out the content of his actual lecture which was limited in time.  I hope that I meet my end with the same kind of courage and thoughtfulness.  I think, to a certain extent, this is what I am trying to do with this blog.  I want to pass on what I have learned and experienced but often didn’t say to my kids and hopefully someday – grandkids.  I’m at an age where I won’t get to know any grandkids when they reach adulthood and appreciate what I am trying to pass on so hopefully they will someday read this and know I was thinking about them.  (to my own children – no pressure – just an observation)  The book is a quick read and well worth the time.  Once again, the central lesson – life is such a precious gift and should be cherished and enjoyed.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good book, Dad. Glad you have this blog to write things down for us and future Parkers!

    ReplyDelete