Saturday, November 19, 2011

Farewell Friday

The Two Guys I'll Miss the Most
Yesterday was my last day at my old job.  It had been a bittersweet time as I was extremely focused on getting the guy replacing me up to speed.  He’s a young guy but seemed capable and understood the important things.  Everyone forgot my birthday this week so I was not expecting a big send off or anything special.  They surprised me when I was asked to go back to the conference room to meet with the client.  They had all the employees and a couple of really large cakes (my personal kryptonite).  They went around the room and asked each employee to speak and I heard some really nice things about myself.  A couple employees couldn’t speak at all, overcome with emotion.  I was kind of stunned because I have been very tough on this bunch, something they needed at the time.  I guess I made a difference which is everything I hoped for.  The client gave me a book and a very nice plaque.  The employees bought me gift certificates for the movies (I guess they do know me) and for dinner at a great restaurant.   It was nostalgic leaving but once I got on the highway for the long ride home and realized that this was the last time I’d have to make this long trip – I was content with the decision.  I stopped for a happy hour gathering with the people I start work with on Monday and it ….  was….. so ….. AWESOME!!!!!  It really felt like coming home and we had an absolutely outstanding time.  This was the camaraderie that was simply missing at my old job and it’s something I now realize I need in my life.  The best part of the evening came when my wife joined us for the last hour.  She also fit right back into the group and was teaming up against my new boss and I like we had never left.  We never stood a chance – great fun.  I left the club feeling my decision to change jobs had been fully validated.  
The Ladies Behind the Cakes

No comments:

Post a Comment