Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Less Cluttered Life

I have never been what anyone would describe as a “neat freak”.  I can be down right sloppy if left to my own devices.  Strangely, I married someone who is the polar opposite of that inclination and surprisingly I am happier because of that.  My wife abhors any kind of disorder in the house.  She is so adamant about it that at one point it actually threatened our marriage because I felt having the house spotless was more important to her than the happiness of the family was.  She learned to tone down her out right fanaticism on the subject but I know it still pulls at the edges of her self respect to have any disorder in the house.  I was raised in a house where my mother was strict about cleaning up after ourselves (4 kids will do that to you).  Later in her life, when all the kids had left, she allowed herself to accumulate an immense amount of “stuff”.  This was due in part to her addiction to yard sales, she just loved to shop and often found “such a bargain” that she had to have it.  I became very frustrated whenever I visited because, as a fairly large guy, I had real difficulty moving through the house without knocking anything over.  In passing through the main hall I actually had to turn sideways to get through.  Add to this equation two young and energetic kids and you get frustration central.  Near the end of my mother’s life I actually cut short visits because I was felt so constrained in a house I used to adore.  I think that experience taught me greater tolerance for my wife’s very opposite approach.  I enjoy coming home to a very clean house uncluttered and easily negotiated.  Of course this means anything left lying around, even if you’re going to need it very soon, will end up put away for safekeeping.  My wife can rarely recall where the object is safely keeping because she is often doing three or four things at once when she does this.  Despite the tension this type event and my own natural sloppiness sometimes engenders between us I really do appreciate the home my wife has created for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment