Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Where to Begin

The Girl Who has Pirated My Soul - The FBR

I’m going to tell the past few days mainly with pictures because words are severely inadequate to express how much fun I had serving as the FBR’s footman for the past few days. It was more than worth the price I paid upon my return (more on that later). Since my daughter was escaping to the wilds of the Catskill Mountains with a bunch of gal pals I was summoned to provide babysitting services to the redoubtable FBR. Needless to say my role evolved quickly to the subservient status noted above as the FBR brooks very little in the way supervision. She takes after her mother in that regard.
Examining her Offerings Upon my Arrival
I arrived with my usual token offerings to acknowledge her magnificence. This is a role usually left to my Favorite Panamanian but I actually scored a couple hits. The most well received gift was a Disney Ariel doll that swims when it comes in contact with water. I made the rookie mistake of showing up without batteries but the FBR summarily directed Wingman to procure the needed power sources. She was delighted with the moving tail and used that to wake me up each of the remaining mornings I had in New Jersey. I spent the nights in the newly remodeled basement which Wingman has turned into a great lair.
The Ariel Hit
I squired the FBR to her Saturday morning gymnastics class which also featured a mid-session potty break that did not please her instructor. Said instructor very tartfully informed me that students were expected to take care of this business before class. I put on my helpless grandparent personae so I didn’t take her head off and end up incarcerated. The FBR blithely handled business and I had the sneaking impression this was all planned in her three year old mind to break up a monotonous part of the class. This is my theory at least.
Mickey Mouse Pancakes
Since Wingman was still sleeping from his very late Friday night at work we journeyed to the FBR’s favorite diner for brunch after gymnastics. The FBR had her signature dish of Mickey Mouse pancakes and acquitted herself with some distinction. The diner was directly across from a bus garage (I cannot escape them) and we maintained a very accurate and somewhat excited census of every bus entering and leaving the garage.
A Christmas Present Puzzle we Worked on Together - Smiled the Whole Time
Back home I was inducted into the FBR’s circle of gaming which involved a new fascination with a Concentration like card game of her favorite cartoon characters, the Paw Patrol. I was just a rookie while Wingman already knew the names of each dog featured.  The FBR has inherited her dad’s luck and skill when it comes to gaming because she dominated me throughout the weekend. She did have a tendency to change the rules to her advantage whenever she felt the need but Wingman would always adjust.
Dinner (and cards) at Wingman's Place
Saturday night we went out to dinner at the new restaurant Wingman is working at. It’s a multiple story affair with three different bars – be still my heart. It’s obvious how well Wingman is thought of there as nearly every employee swung by our table to greet him. The FBR must be used to the paternal acclaim because she took it all in stride while inveigling me into yet another round of Concentration while we waited for our food.
Imagine That Even had a Fire Engine

The Princess
Sunday was a very full day indeed. We spent a fantastic few hours in the morning at a children’s activity museum called Imagine That. The FBR was a blur of motion incorporating multiple costume changes as she motored around the facility, going from princess to pirate to tutu equipped tap dancer. We were joined by another couple members of the second generation of Curbside as their mother was also Catskill ensconced with my daughter.
And the Pirate

And Tap Dancer

The FBR dominated a climbing gyms that was recommended for five year olds. For the first couple passes she said she needed a boost for several spaces that were just beyond her reach. Wingman and I talked her through how she could do it herself and once she learned that she was truly off to the races, clambering up repeatedly without even thinking of asking for help. I was so proud of her.
Lunch with 2d Gen Curbside 

Conquering her Fears

Never looked Back
Sunday was also conference championship day in the NFL and Wingman had invited a group of neighborhood friends over for the games along with their children. This composed mostly of the other fathers left wifeless by the Catskill trip. He expected it to be pure chaos once all the children arrived and he was absolutely correct. I could not have been happier, mainly because I was, as a grandparent, not directly responsible for riding herd over any individual so while each parent had to keep an eye on their charge I was blissfully capable of just enjoying the pandemonium and the football.
Channeling her Inner Wingman

The house looked like a small nuclear device had gone off by the time everyone departed. That departure coincided with the Patriots’ game which was one for the ages as the Pats won their way back to the Super Bowl for the third year in a row. It was a great game fraught with lead changes and wouldn’t be decided until overtime. The evil genius Belichick once again devised a game plan that had the Chiefs on their heels in the waning moments as a stronger, more physical Patriots team pushed their way relentlessly downfield for the winning score. Somewhere in Western Pennsylvania yet another piece of the Steelers’ fans’ souls was taken. The best part was watching the game with Wingman. That was a great part of the weekend as well as I’ve had too few opportunities to hang with my most excellent son in law over the past few years.
Chaotic Football
Life of the Party

Aftermath
Yesterday dawned all too soon regretfully because it marked the day of my departure northward. I hung around until just past mid-day so I could at least see my daughter who returned with tales of being the fire building expert for the group (insert apple and tree comment here). I knew I would be facing a hefty price for my vacation from Worcester as a major storm that was nearly all rain in New Jersey had dumped twelve inches of snow on my house and followed that up with a  day of freezing rain and a deep freeze. As I drove north I started seeing the snow build up higher and higher. A good portion of Connecticut was encased in ice. It was like driving through a crystal forest for most of the Merritt Parkway. That faded was I neared Worcester but a real treat awaited me.
What Awaited me
I eased to the side as I approached my house to find a three foot snow bank street side and the aforementioned twelves inches staring me somewhat tauntingly. The real fun was stepping outside into what turned out to be the coldest day on record for Worcester for that date. The temperature never got above 0 all day and the wind chill (remember we live at the top of a hill) at minus 26. So I had that going for me. I ended up having to break the top layer of ice ahead of the snow blower to allow it to move the accumulated mess. It was a lot of fun as a fairly inauspicious way to end what had been a delightful spell. Still, more than willing to pay that, or any price, for the time spent with the little sprite that has so thoroughly conquered my soul.  
Tired but Happy Afterwards
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment