Sunday, January 13, 2019

Encroaching Solitariness


Yesterday was a day I was dreading and not just because I had to get up at 4am. The biggest reason was the annual winter migration south of my Favorite Panamanian to the warm climes of her homeland and our beachfront condo while I become a frozen geographic bachelor. This is hopefully the last winter that I don’t immediately accompany her but that’s for the future to know. It was appropriately and bone chilling cold for our departure which only served to solidify her resolve to flee for the beach. We have this deployment down to almost a science and I felt something of an expert as I wended my way through the Logan Airport traffic stream that can baffle a newcomer.
I returned home to the larger house which made it seem even emptier, if that’s possible. My wife has a tendency to occupy a lot of space despite her miniscule stature. A couple hours later I received a call from her which was weird because she should have been over Florida by that point. There was a mechanical problem with the plane and she didn’t take off until almost 11am, three hours late, having spent that time in the airplane. This caused her to miss her connecting flight to her final destination but Copa put her up in a five star hotel in Panama City and she was last heard from last night partying with her younger sister and cousin. She had an early morning flight up to David this morning and I’m waiting her hear she’s arrived there.
I employed my usual tactic of staying busy to counter-act the incipient sadness. That meant taking the stack of paint cans I’d set aside to do the spot painting still required in the new addition. There’s always the small spots that need attention after the tape is pulled off or Deckzilla Dude banged something hard up against the wall when he was moving it or if he accidently cut through a wall into an adjoining room. After cycling through five different colors of paint I declared victory and immersed myself in playoff football and cooking a pot roast for the week. When that didn’t help I tried an escape to the movies. It’s funny how much of my life is intertwined that that little bundle of Latina energy.
The movie was Replicas which has Keanu Reeves portraying a brilliant bio-engineer, Yes you heard that right. Despite his well-earned status in pop culture as a less than honored thespian I’ve always considered Reeves a sneaky good actor. This however was definitely too much of a stretch as he teamed up with the guy from the Verizon commercials to clone and then transfer the brains of his dead family into the clones. Yes you heard that right so maybe Reeves’ acting ability wasn’t the only thing stretched here. This could have been a good movie if they’d tightened up the pace in the middle act as we’re left watching Reeves watch his cloning pods for way too long. In the end the inevitable evil corporation raises its head to bring up the needed action filled climax. I kind of liked this despite the all too gaping plot holes. Maybe it was because I hoped this kind of science was possible.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment