Thursday, January 3, 2019

Settling Dust

FBR Embracing the McDonald's Experience

After the delightful turmoil that always accompanies a busy holiday season yesterday felt almost like a normal day. I say almost because Deckzilla Dude still haunts the homestead finishing off the final aspects of the renovation, plastering is involved down in the Man Cave as new pipes are hidden away. There is more painting in my immediate future but the new bedroom is starting to feel like home already. I’ve just got to find someone to help me carry the couch up from the basement to complete the furnishing. My Favorite Panamanian is waiting until her return from her upcoming Panamanian sojourn before she begins decorating.
Newly Installed TV

From the Other Side

Our benighted commander in chief continues to keep the government closed until he gets his border wall. He said he wouldn’t compromise with the democrats because it would embarrass himself, to which is say, “Too late Mr. President”. I know I complain about how fast time passes when you reach my august accumulation of years but I sincerely hope the next two years fly by so this buffoon can be run out of town.
FBR Modeling a Christmas Acquisition
We finally caught up with the FBR last night to have our first 2019 conversation with her. She didn’t seem too interested in that until we started playing games with her. One included some screams which did not endear us to her mother who was trying to make dinner at the same time insuring the FBR didn’t bounce the IPhone she was talking with us on the floor too many times. We learned on their trip back from Christmas the FBR had her first ever experience in a McDonalds’ playground. If I was a betting man I would say it would not be their last as the hypervigilant FBR is sure to spot the ever present establishments on all future trips.

Wingman Might Have Helped a Little with this FBR Creation

The BRS Dominating a Passport Photo
We also caught up with my Favorite Son and his gang last evening. The BRS was on the move and diligently trying to open the freezer door which she’d obviously seen her parents doing. When she finally figured out it wasn’t going to open for her she let out a primordial scream of frustration before turning to more accessible targets. Her Day Care providers report that the BRS is acquiring a reputation as quite a risk taker. This is going to be fun.
In my abbreviated stays in the Man Cave over the past week I’ve binge watched yet another recommendation from my daughter – The Night Manager. I finished it off last night and it was uniformly excellent. Based on a  John le Carré (whom I love) novel it follows old friend Loki as a former military guy working as an exclusive hotel manager who gets drawn into the world of illegal arms sales by old friend Dr House, now free to use his native British accent as the villain. I can’t recommend this highly enough if you haven’t seen it, smart, fun, sexy, and superbly acted.
I wish I could say the same thing about last night’s foray to the movie theater where I took one for the team and squired three beautiful Panamanian ladies to the cinema to see Second Act. Jennifer Lopez has certainly hung to her looks but she’s definitely pushing the envelope here trying to portray a late thirties Cinderella type debating whether to start a family. While she maintains her undeniable screen presence the movie suffers from a serious lack of credibility/believability. There’s absolutely no spark between her and her much younger love interest, Milo Ventimiglia. She plays a bright box store assistant manager who floats a seriously embellished resume to get a huge corporate consulting job. Think Maid in Manhattan on steroids. I liked the female empowerment message and the interactions with her group of friends but this just didn’t work for me. There were contrived scenes to get Lopez’ renowned backside into yoga pants as well as a dancing scene straight out of In Living Color but they were obviously and needlessly shoe horned in. That spoke eloquently about the quality of the writing. Finally, boy does Treat Williams look old!
Reconnected with an old Army Buddy
He Sent this Picture of Two Young Majors in Hawaii
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment