Monday, January 14, 2019

Pat Smack

Son and BRS Watching Game Yesterday

The New England Patriots certainly contributed to assuaging the beginnings of my isolated existence for the next few weeks. They laid an absolute smack down on what was supposed to be a very good Chargers team yesterday to advance to the conference championship game for the 8th year in a row. Somewhere in western Pennsylvania yet another self-important Steelers fan contemplates self-destruction. This was the Patriots team we all thought/hoped existed somewhere in the frightfully inconsistent 2018 version.

This meant a full afternoon and evening down in the Man Cave watching Phillip Rivers dissolve. I’d spent the morning finishing up my spot painting project in the new addition. I finally connected with my Favorite Panamanian just before game time. That turned out to be a good thing on a number of levels since I wanted to show her the progress I’d made (always in search of validation). As I walked up the stairs I noticed there were several drops of white paint on the hardwood floors. She probably wondered why I kept stopping as I surreptitiously cleaned up the offending spots.
Next Gen

Loves Having Daddy within Climbing Range

FBR Braving the Cold
She finally arrived in her home town after the flight delay and hotel stay in Panama City. She was safely ensconced on her mother’s front porch telling me how beautiful the weather was while I told her about our 14 degree weather. I heard Northern Virginia received over a foot of snow which means that place in effectively paralyzed and not just because the Twitterer in Chief has everyone out of work.
Not Too Busy to Hang with Buzz and Woody
I connected with both granddaughters yesterday. It was good to see the BRS is being brought up right and ably garbed in Patriots gear. She invented a “new” game while eating which involved taking a big bite of food and then spraying it as far as she could see. I don’t think my Favorite Son and the ABFA shared my amusement of the results bt my daughter only nodded sagely when I reported this, remembering the FBR’s similar meal time antics.
New Basement in New Jersey
The FBR was entirely too bus to devote any time to a mere grandfather as she was busy hosting some of her own friends. Wingman recently completed his makeover of what had been a pretty desolate basement. He even created a play area for the FBR which I’m sure will become a favorite play spot. I’ll get to see it firsthand later this week as I report for babysitting duty for the upcoming weekend, isolation be damned.
The FBR Area
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment