Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Ano Nuevo

The Two Musqueteras on New Year's Eve
Somehow, somewhat inexplicably I find myself immersed in a year being called 2019. I find this hard to credit because that would seem to be a date in the far future when we’ll all have flying cars and the world will be at peace with a central world government reaching for the stars, having already colonized the moon. Well these illusions of my youth have certainly not happened, for some (the central world government) that is a very good thing.
The Vision I'm Married to
2018 was so exhausting that I welcome the promise of a more a more restful year. My Favorite Panamanian and I decided to send 2018 off in appropriate fashion and that meant a short, tiring trip to the far north to celebrate the New Years at the home of the Maine Musquetera. I put in a half day of work on December 31st and we then hit the road and the endless tunnel of pine trees that is I-95 in Maine. We arrived shortly after dark in Waterville in time to help with the last stages of preparation for the party.
The New Jersey Bunch out Celebrating As Well
The was the FBR's Chosen Holiday Garb this Year

Wingman and my Daughter
New Year’s Eve is a big deal in the Latin culture and my wife always seeks a way to appropriate celebrate the event. This was the second time in the last few years we made this trip and the Maine Musquetera’s circle of friends is always fun to hang out with. The added bonus was the presence of the Musquetera’s sister and family from our old stomping grounds in Northern Virginia. Back in the early 1980s we actually introduced the sister to her future husband who served with me in the Old Guard. They’ve been together ever since and now have a kid in college.
93 Years Young
My wife disappeared upstairs shortly after we arrived to engage in whatever arcane conjurings are required for her to look twenty years younger than I do. I didn’t see her or the Musquetera until after guests started arriving. She was, of course, a vision – as she is wont to do at these type events. The most illustrative comment of the night was from another party goer who said I looked like a grandfather while my wife did not look capable of being old enough to be a grandmother. So it goes.
Party Cranking Up

Just Before Midnight
I had a lot of fun conversing with the Musquetera’s 93 year old mother in law. She was supposed to spend just an hour at the party before retiring for the night. She ended up staying until midnight and my wife even had her out on the dance floor for a short spell. We’re talking Latinas here so you knew there would be dancing.
Wife Getting the Musquetera's Motehr in Law Out on Dance Floor

There was also a delicious meal served just before midnight – another Hispanic New Year’s Eve tradition. I employed my Anglo-Saxon prerogative of beer consumption amidst all the flowing sangria for a memorable and very fun night. We rang in the New Year and I retired around 130am figuring the two musqueteras would engage in one of their patented late night conversations. I have it on good authority my wife finally came to bed around 4am.
A Very Good Time
We were up at 8 as I planned on a 9am departure since we had to be back in Worcester by 1pm. The cable company was coming to install cable in the new addition and 1 January was the only date they had available. In a major surprise we actually hit the road at 9am despite the traditional 20 minute departure ceremony where my wife feels the need to hug everyone there at least three times and start long conversations while I perform my task of looking POed at the delay.
Meanwhile in New Jersey Pee Wee Approved a Christmas Gift Rug
Overnight about four inches of snow had fallen but this was Maine, not Virginia, so it was hardly noticed. This is the direct opposite of last year’s New Years’ Eve weather which we spent at the Panamanian condo. We re-entered the pine tunnel and with our nearly on time departure I calculated we could perform a stop and go at my Favorite Son’s house outside Portsmouth since it was only a few minutes out of the way.
Wife and BRS on 1 Jan
My wife, predictably, made the most of the very short stop and soon had the BRS laughing uncontrollably while playing one of their games. The ABFA was out walking Riggins when we drive up unexpectedly, so that was fun. I was able to pry the BRS out of her abuela’s arms (the dirty diaper helped in that regard) and get back on the road into time to make our appointed time in Worcester.
They Were Both Very Happy
Prior to leaving for Maine my wife and I had somehow carried a huge TV table up the two flights of stairs from the Man Cave to the new addition. She’s much stronger than she looks as we slid the table upside down on carpets up the stairs. I don’t know how many more years I’ll be able to do stupid things like that but it all worked out and the cable box had an appropriate resting place awaiting it. The new bedroom is rapidly approaching normalcy with the addition of the new (appropriately huge) television.
We knocked off another movie from the list I’d wanted but had been unable to see by checking out Bumblebee. I’ve seen all the Transformers movies understanding going in what was in store. In that regard this movie surprised me because it had a little bit of depth and a lot of heart which is due in large part, if not entirely because of the luminous presence of Hailee Steinfeld. She plays a plucky teenager who finds a broken down VW bug which turns out to be the venerable Bumblebee of Transformers lore (I guess at this point there is lore). Her feelings for the huge robot may be a touch over the top but Steinfeld makes you care which is a true rarity in this Hasbro inflicted universe. John Cena is around to play the befuddled military type in some true typecasting but the rest of the supporting cast is invisible for the most part. I blame Steinfeld. A nice, family appropriate escape.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment