Thursday, January 17, 2019

Escapism

I Get to Join the Crowd

This is the potentially the last blog post for a while because my direct association with either of my granddaughters precludes wasting time on something as mundane as writing. I have been summoned to the south to spend the long weekend with the FBR. My daughter has a weekend long social event while Wingman still has to work. That means I’m being left to hang out with the FBR – I think jigsaw puzzles and serial viewings of Moana are in my immediate future. I’ll also have to up my energy levels if I have any hope of keeping up with the relentless FBR.
It will also be cool to hang out with Wingman when he’s not at work. His work schedule over the past couple years have prevented him from accompanying his gals when they come north except for Christmas. I’ll have to do an inventory of my electronic devices to see if I need any additional training. He’s just a great guy to hang with – hence the nickname.
Mother Nature is also cooperating with my travel plans. I’m driving down tomorrow and returning late on Monday due to the holiday. A major winter storm is blowing in late on Saturday and pummeling the area all day Sunday lacing it with some freezing rain between snow falls. We could get anywhere from a foot to over three feet of snow. Luckily I live in New England which knows what to do with such an event. I figure no matter how much falls, by Monday afternoon everything should be cleaned up to allow safe travel home. If this was Northern Virginia it would be at least a week.
My driveway will be another story as this will mark the first significant snowfall of the winter. The aforementioned Virginia has actually received more snow than we have this winter. It’s time to embrace the suck. I just hope this winter doesn’t follow that of a few years ago when we received no snow at all in January and then were pounded relentlessly with a storm every three days from February into April. At least it’s not the driveway from hell which brings back nightmares of returning from a Panamanian vacation to spend four hours clearing just to get into the house.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment