Monday, January 7, 2019

Aquified


I was back in the pool this morning for the first time in months and it was predictably painful as the long layoff has not been kind to my aging infrastructure. I’m angry at myself for letting myself go with the all too convenient excuses of multiple trips to Panama, Mohs surgery, and late nights on house renovations all supplanted the motivation to be up early and into the pool. In my own defense the pool was under construction for five of those weeks but the maximum effective range of an excuse remains zero meters.
What I Looked Like Entering pool Today
My hope is the Christmas cookie enhanced poundage will fall victim to this increase in exercise and I did notice how much better I felt over breakfast this morning. That euphoria dissipated after a couple hours at work where every time I stand up from my desk I’m reminded in no uncertain terms by aching muscles just how long it had been. I have to get myself into a routine for any exercise program to take hold. I blame the Army for this where routine was not only encouraged but required. Civilians are decidedly less inclined so I must be nearly completely civilianized at this point (family and friends aren’t buying that either).
Yesterday was spent down in the Man Cave hiding out from my Favorite Panamanian as she engaged in her post-holiday final cleanup. There was a TV commercial from my youth for some cleaning product that talked about a “white tornado” (less PC back in the day) which meant someone totally dedicated to cleaning every dust mote from existence. My wife was definitely in that mode yesterday which dictated as wide a distance between us as I could justify. I contented myself with returning the Man Cave to pre-renovation status by sanding and then painting the walls that were violated in the name of new piping and an entire new wall used to encase another pipe.
FBR - Fashion Explosion
Note the Unicorn Slippers
In addition to the aching muscles I discovered another indicator of my advancing age. Both of my granddaughters were more socially relevant over the weekend than I was. The BRS attended a birthday party on Sunday before returning home to continue her campaign to circumvent parental security measures. While we were talking with her she tipped over the large Christmas doll and then used that as a platform to reach over the top of some fencing. Based on her demonstrated abilities my Favorite Son was upping his game over the weekend. He emplaced the cabinet door locks and security measures to keep the BRS safe in the kitchen. Convenience died yesterday for the ABFA and my son for the next couple years in their kitchen. I’m still amazed how my mother, and her peers from back in the day, managed to keep four kids safe without the help of all these modern devices. I guess it really was the Greatest Generation but of course she didn’t have to deal with the distractions offered by modern technology (cell phones – I’m talking about you!).
The FBR was even more engaged over the weekend, attending two different parties. She didn’t feel the need to converse with her grandparents when we finally tracked her down last night. As soon as she heard we were on the phone she walked over to the kitchen table and decreed she wanted to color in her Moana coloring book. Our daughter was then required to catch us up on their activities while the FBR studiously ignored us. Ah, the fleeting nature of fame, I guess I’ve got to look into some sort of Polynesian costume (grass skirt?) to re-acquire target lock with the FBR.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment