Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Age Defying

Evidence of BRS Climbing Ability

I think the weirdest thing about getting to be as old as I am (63) is remembering what I thought of people my current age when I was young. If I go by that reckoning I’m ready for fossilization. The very helpful and supportive Cantankerous Friend recently took issue when I claimed to still be middle aged. While I’m more than willing to access the privileges of senior discounts I will continue to claim at least middle age status and fight the appellation of senior citizen. A Facebook friend recently posted this photo where the World Heath Organization claims I’m still a young man! I’m guessing this organization is affiliated with the UN so their judgement is at least debatable.
However I refuse to consider myself as a senior yet. I still body surf (poorly), dance (again poorly), and drink beer (well) more adroitly than I did as a young man (practice being the critical element there). I know refusing to accept the inevitability of age is eventually bound to be incorrect and since I’m disagreeing with my Cantankerous Friend I’m sure to hear a litany of reasons on why I’m wrong. But I harken back to where I found the title for this blog:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

In an effort to get in front of the Cantankerous One with some actual facts, I offer this - According to the Oxford English Dictionary middle age is between 45 and 65: "The period between early adulthood and old age, usually considered as the years from about 45 to 65." The US Census lists the category middle age from 45 to 65. Merriam-Webster lists middle age from 45 to 64,while prominent psychologist Erik Erikson saw it starting a little earlier and defines middle adulthood as between 40 and 65. So I at least have a couple more years to go.
Artistic BRS
At the other end of the spectrum we have my granddaughters. We caught the FBR mid-dance move last night when we connected. She had Moana songs blasting on the house speaker while demonstrating her abuela’s and Mom’s dancing genes had been passed down successfully. Likewise the FBR was giving full throat to her unhappiness when the ABFA put her down. Apparently the BRS wanted to be held and took true exception to her usually cherished freedom to crawl. We caught the moment my Favorite Son picked her up and the BRS then aimed a very definitive withering, death stare at her mother for having the temerity to put her down. So funny.
She Loves the Challenge of Stairs
That is Something You Outgrow

Since we’re talking about aging the movie my Favorite Panamanian and I saw last night is entirely appropriate. The Mule features the 90 year old Clint Eastwood still proving to be a capable director and actor, even though he looks every one of his years. He plays a character based on a real life 90 year old drug mule for a Mexican cartel. The movie offers Eastwood’s usual crisp pacing as we follow the Mule’s introduction into the trade. The film provides an eloquent comment on the moral ambiguity of life as the viewer cannot help but root for Eastwood not to get caught even though he’s transporting truckloads of cocaine. Eastwood, never the most subtle of messengers, brings that point home with the final third of film. It’s not all fun and games and there’s a price to pay for sacrificing your soul.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment