Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Deep Blue

The New Garb
I had a weird day yesterday that was mildly concerning. I’ve been blessed with general good health – except for the whole basal skin cancer situation. Yesterday afternoon something hit me that drained me of energy and inserted a general state of malaise that was, as I said, concerning. My usual tactic in these type situations is to ignore it and drive on; believing anything else would be tantamount to being a wimp.
Shower Finally Finished
This was hard to ignore however. I was dealing with it when I received a call from our long lost plumber who said he was finally available to come in and mount the shower bracket – literally the last thing remaining on the big remodeling project. I’ve been trying to acquire his services for the past two weeks with a number of broken promises on his end. He came in and knocked out the requirement and I then immediately got into bed.
At the Condo Yesterday
My View this Morning - Wife Wins
I was knocked out for about two hours and when I got up I was shivering almost uncontrollably. This was definitely weird. I thought the nap was going to solve all my problems but that turned out to be a pipe dream. I finished the last round of chemotherapy cream for my back on Sunday and thought this might be a reaction to that, as farfetched as that might sound. I surmised that I may have poisoned myself with my lunch meal, refusing to believe it could be anything serious. I may have to be a little more prudent when it comes to food preparation. We’ll see because I’ve got food from the same batch for lunch today.
Favorite Panamanian with Newly Painted Walls
I made the mistake of telling my wife during our evening phone call. My kids know this is a recipe for intense over-reaction. She was insisting I go to the doctor immediately and failing that she was going to call the neighborhood Mafioso to come over and take my blood pressure. That was enough to snap me out of the doldrums as I told her in no uncertain terms that I did not want that and would not open the door if she arranged it. She grudgingly accepted this but was not happy. There is no medical situation she’s not prepared to react excessively to – I surprised not to hear a Medflight helicopter hovering over the house after we finished the call. She had been busy all day painting the walls of our condo. I’m not sure it was needed but I only get 49% of that vote.
Dark Blue it is
The FBR was in fine fettle when I caught up with her. She modeled her brand new gymnastics leotard along with showing me some of her more exotic, frog based exercises. Dark blue has become her favorite color and she was excited to obtain her new garb in that hue. When she heard about the upcoming birthday party in Panama she requested my wife order a birthday cake with the flavor of dark blue. We’ll have to see about that. She was just back from reconning a new day care option, more of a structured pre-school situation than her current setting.
I thought the best therapy for my condition was a movie on dateless date night and went to see Serenity. The most surprising thing about this was the sheer challenge to make a bad movie that stars Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Diane Lane, Jason Clarke, and Djimon Hounsou. The director was up to the challenge. There’s a huge plot twist that explains some of the more nonsensical issues from the first half of the movie. Instead of using that twist to elevate the plot it just contributes to the downward spiral. McConaughey plays a fishing boat skipper on an idyllic island who’s obsessed with an overlarge tuna and no, I’m not kidding. There were extensive McConaughey skinny dipping scenes aimed squarely at the ladies I’m sure. The biggest disappointment for me was the lack of chagrin I felt should have been evident from these fine actors for this trash. Oh and the complete underuse of Diane Lane, that rises to criminal level failure.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment