Tuesday, September 12, 2017

The It Factor

Blue Steel in Action
That’s a time worn phrase by now but I’d like to discuss a couple people who definitely excel in that area. First of all the FBR dominated potty training and my daughter reported that she had figured it out completely by her second day of pant-less living (the FBR not my daughter). I have noticed that the video calls with her grandparents are less and less an event for the FBR. She usually provides a perfunctory hello and then speeds off. She knows there are much more exciting ways to spend time, yet another sign she’s getting older each day. My daughter also reported that every night after brushing her teeth the FBR looks in the mirror and squints like she's modeling. They call it her model face or "Blue Steel". Wingman captured the look last night – too funny. They also finally got a contractor to answer the needed remake of the back lawn, apparently New Jersey contractors are not the most responsive. It looks great though and totally ready for the FBR's next summer.
Re-done
Birthday Boy in the Midst of Chaperone Duty
The second factor relevant person is the Keene Friend whose birthday is celebrated today. I’ve extolled his virtues here on many an occasion but all fail to capture the innate quality of the man. He truly is part of our family and a favored uncle for both of my kids from their earliest days. While I served in the Army he never failed to check in on my aging mother to insure she was taken care of, including some extensive driveway shoveling. He’s also my designated chaperone for all pub crawls – not a task for the meek of heart. He is, in short, amongst the very best currently drawing breath.
Progress Thus Far
I’m nearing the end of my cosmetically challenged fire pit project. I know any professional mason would run screaming in horror when seeing what I have wrought but I continue to take a somewhat perverse pride in my creation (channeling my inner Dr. Fronkensteen). I did learn the valuable lesson of not repeatedly using my index finger to smooth the cement between rocks. I ended up rubbing the skin off the point of the finger which I only discovered after washing the cement off, I can be such an idiot. The next door neighbor wandered over yesterday and said it actually looked nice – that made me a little sad.
I took the unheard of chance of seeing a horror movie last night without the required accompanying support of my Favorite Son. I had to make an exception since the movie involved the Master himself – Stephen King and It. I always liked the TV version shot a couple decades ago and went into this with the resultant chip on my shoulder. The film won me over by the sheer talent of the young actors portraying the doughty Loser’s Club battling Pennywise the Dancing Clown, the ancient evil haunting Derry, Maine. Especially the actors portraying Bill and Beverley who capture the awkward adolescent romance in the midst of fighting ultimate evil. The plot centers on the immense bravery of the Losers and the seeping evil of Derry that’s central to King’s work. I thought they’d be in way over their heads trying to take this on but it was great. And scared the bejesus out of me. I could have used that filial support.

The Bad Cinema project count rises to #4 out of 100 with She Gods of Shark Reef (I’m not kidding – that was the actual title). So deliciously bad.
Hitting you With BLUE STEEL Again

No comments:

Post a Comment