Friday, September 22, 2017

Mid-Week Recovery Operations

My Wonder Woman
I wrote yesterday about the rare opportunity to hang out with some of my most excellent high school classmates back in my hometown Wednesday night. The visit by the Pittsburgh Roommate started that ball rolling and it was more fun than I’m probably authorized at this point in my life. The resident issue with mid-week celebrations such as these is getting up the next morning to deal with the aftermath in the midst of a work day. I knew going into my Wednesday misbehavior that Thursday would be a challenge because it was predictably the busiest day of my week. I had a board meeting first thing in the morning and then a deposition I had to sit for in the lawyer’s office. Surprisingly I felt pretty good first thing and as luck would have it the board meeting was the shortest I’ve ever attended.
Worcester Views from Lawyer's Office
The deposition was another story. I had to provide testimony is on ongoing dispute by a former employee who refuses to take his rightful termination in stride. In the People’s Republic of Taxxachusetts there are no end of agencies a disgruntled idiot can avail himself of and this one seems to be a real pro at it. It’s usually just noise and yesterday’s deposition was an example of that. I had to sit for nearly two hours providing testimony and then wait for the attorney to print out the deposition for me to sign. It was actually pretty interesting when you see the light go in the investigator’s eyes when all she’s heard up to that point is the former employee’s side. The setting was also dynamic as we were near the top of one of the city’s tallest buildings which offered sweeping views of Worcester.

Again, this was interesting enough to keep me focused and ignorant of the aforementioned aftermaths. I even remarked to my wife over lunch that I was in a lot better condition than I anticipated after Wednesday’s excesses. That all caught up to me around 2pm when I was sitting at my desk and felt a literal wave of weariness descend. I was grateful it waited that long and felt it was a small price to pay for the joy of spending time with the people I had on Wednesday night.
Instilling Another Uncle into the Intricacies of Daniel Tiger
Our nightly Facetime call with the FBR was a different kind of joy. She continues her precocious development and is now dominating the whole potty training phase. She also runs between all locations with a very determined arm swing. My wife and I watched Wonder Woman later in the evening and the first scenes with a young wonder woman running reminded us of the FBR. Wingman’s back yard project is also off to an amazing start with a verdant lawn emerging after only ten days. It’s easy to imagine the FBR rolling round out there next summer.
Wingman's Back Lawn Progress

Snacking with Compatriots
Now that I’m fully recovered I’m ready for the next chapter in celebrations which of course involve marking the First Friday of the Week. This week is completely enhanced because it will involve a drive by my wife and I north into New Hampshire again but to the east side this time. We’ll be spending the weekend with my Favorite Son and the ABFA and that’s always a recipe for extended joy. I keep trying to figure out how I got so lucky in life to be surrounded by the people I am. I must have knocked the socks off a prior life.

The Bad Cinema project count rises #12 out of 100 with Bride of the Gorilla, no I’m not kidding, it was actually called that, starring Perry Mason himself as the gorilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment