Thursday, September 28, 2017

She’s All Heart

Birthday Girl This Morning With her Daughter
Okay, so today’s the day I annually take to extol my utter windfall in the daughter department. I was completely unprepared for the lightning strike quality of seeing her for the first time more than thirty years ago today. After putting her mother through more than twenty hours of labor she was wheeled out of the OR in a bassinet and I saw her that first time in a hospital hallway outside the waiting room. My life was never the same after that moment. Thankfully.
They Grow So Incredibly Fast

Professional Gal

But Still a Trickster - Just Ask her Brother
She once told her grandmother that she wanted to go by the nome de guerre of “heart”. That is appallingly appropriate because, in the immortal words of Rod Tidwell, “She’s All Heart!” and always has been. People who know me well are sometimes surprised that I raised an ardent feminist in my daughter but again, I could not be prouder of her, especially since she gets to pass her wisdom on to her own daughter – the FBR. Every time I see my granddaughter I’m transported back to the 1980s because she is a virtual clone of what her mother looked like back then. I can only hope she follows a similar path to adulthood.
While she fortunately tapped into her mother’s beauty she acquired her love of movies and reading from me. I still treasure the times we spend talking about that shared fascination. That is whatever time the FBR bequeaths us. 
Cali-Daughter (For a While)

Wedding Day

Lucky in Love Too - WINGMAN!!!!
My daughter has always been frighteningly independent. She and a friend loaded up a U-Haul truck shortly after graduating from college and moved to New York City with no job. The fact that she became a complete success and has worked for the same company ever since shortly after her arrival speaks volumes about her ability. They didn’t want to lose her so she telecommuted during her two plus years in California. She’s back East Coasting now – to everyone’s delight, well mostly everyone. She was just moved into a new office (with a window!) in her Madison Avenue company headquarters.
Surprising her on her 30th Birthday
A Moment I will Always Treasure
There’s always a special bond between daughters and dads – something Wingman is rapidly discovering through his daily adventures with the FBR. They are both so lucky to share habitation with that little gal who stole my heart so thoroughly and ad infinitum in that hospital corridor. So Happy Birthday Heart – enjoy your day and the wonderful people who flit around your oh so bright flame.
It's been so interesting to share adulthood with my kids. I'm not sure that interest is mutual but they are both of an age now when they can remember me at the same age as they are. I can remember sending today's birthday girl off to 1st grade when I was the age she is now.

The Bad Cinema project count rises #16 out of 100 with Teenagers from Outer Space, exactly what I hoped for during this trek through mediocrity. 
The FBR Lining up Her Friends to Watch Daniel Tiger



1 comment: