Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorable Day

First of all I’d like to add my thoughts and prayers to those who remember today isn’t about barbecues and beach frolics only. It’s about remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice to insure we’re free to barbecue and frolic. It’s all too easy in Obama’s America to minimize and marginalize the herculean efforts and sacrifice of these heroes and try to assign some measure of underserved guilt but that isn’t America. I keep seeing a video posted by some well-meaning, liberal friends that features Jeff Daniels bemoaning the state of the USA in a diatribe against patriotism hitting all the progressive talking points. He points out the USA isn’t the only country with freedom and then lists a series of countries that while they do have freedom, they have it in large part due to an American soldier pressing his buttons into the mud on their behalf. I see the left led by their bannermen of Obama and Hillary trying to harken back to the heady days of the Carter presidency when we were forced to not believe in ourselves and the promise of the America that was only solved by the arrival of Reagan. While at times I’m worried about the insidious nature of their posturing I’m not worried about America; because we still produce young people like the 11 year old featured in this video about Omaha Beach. A friend posted it on Facebook yesterday and I watched in awe. America will never descend into the morass of false European egalitarianism which is a myth even in Europe because the West is always going to need its sheepdog.
Of course I’m down in Panama still and they don’t celebrate Memorial Day but they do like to barbecue. We established residency yesterday at the home of the cousin with the legendary laugh along with a bevy of the infamous PanaGals.
Wait, Zumba to Start off a Party?!! My Wife in the Middle of It Of Course
As soon as we arrived everyone was summoned for a Zumba workout with an all too fit instructor my wife’s cousin had contracted for to lead. This was not my idea of a good way to start a party, especially given the 90 heat and 100% humidity of the Panama’s rainy season. I retreated to a nearby bohio, a safe distance from this insanity. I was truly impressed as the group went at it for an hour in the stifling heat and never slowed down. Panamanians and dancing seem like the natural order of things. I don’t know if I could have hung with them, even in my youth.Once the workout was completed we commenced with the more civilized aspect of the party which boasted the typical ingredients of beer and lots of laughter.
My Safe Haven of the Bohio in the Rear (r)

The Bohio Crowd
My brother in law was manning the charcoal grill which labored mightily to handle the serious amount of dead animal flesh heaped upon it. They use a different kind of charcoal which required repeated re-ignition and support. They were even using a small PVC pipe to blow air into the charcoal to maintain it.
Brother in Law and his Wife on the Grill
Right on schedule in mid-afternoon Panama reminded me why they call this the rainy season (winter to the Panamanians). The rain descended in remarkable amounts, the proverbial bovine urinating on a flat rock. Those of us in the bohio tried to ride out the storm by retreating to the middle but this wasn’t the normal short duration storm; it had some legs. A shuttle system of umbrellas and towels was used to transfer everyone to the front porch where the party continued unabated.
Then the Rains Came

My brother in law struggled mightily to keep his barbecue lit in the face of the inundation. This was the Panama I remembered from so many nights spent in the jungle as a young man with the rain pouring down and trying to remember what it was like to actually be dry. Fortunately in my dotage I could watch from a covered porch with an Atlas beer in my hand which is definitely preferable to my earlier incarnation.
My Sister in Law Defying Rain in Typical PanaGal Fashion

Brother in Law Eying the Steady Encroachment of the Rain

PVC Pipe to the Rescue!
The rain continued for several hours and it would have flooded any place in the USA but they’re used to it here and shortly after it stopped there were just a few minor lingering puddles. My wife and I spent the latter part of the party trying to convince as many people as possible to come visit us in the coming year. I think we were moderately successful but there was a lot of Atlas downrange on both sides of the conversations.

My Wife, Serial Hugger that She is, Grabbing her Father
These parties are so much fun because the laughter and joy of a gathered family continued uninterrupted by almost biblical level weather. I swear I’d fly down just for a weekend with these people, which is kind of what I’m doing anyways. I just love these people.
Some Early Starters in Karaoke

No comments:

Post a Comment