Friday, May 29, 2015

Anticipation of Tomorrow

That’s about all I will say about this weekend. First of all I get to pick up not only my daughter and the first blog reader but Wingman will be making his long awaited return to East Coast duties. I found it hard to concentrate yesterday as I look forward to getting my arms around these three again. They’re flying into Boston to spend the weekend with us before moving on to New York City for her quarterly coordination with the home office as well as a curb side baptism.
These Two +1
Another highlight of the weekend, other than my wife’s continuous happy dance, will be a trip up to New Hampshire to see the favorite son and the ABFA in their newly acquired abode. I’m renting a truck to transport the remains of my son’s possessions from our basement as well as a couple of my wife’s plants as we start the downsizing. She was actually in tears last night about the prospect of her “children” leaving the nest. The prospect of being near her future grandchild will certainly help.

Despite the busy timetable of the return to work, vacation recovery, impending visit, need to restock house, sell house (continuing dueling lawyers), rent a house (lease signing imminent), Panamanian Residency Visa application, land sale, and beachfront condo construction we took time out to see a movie last night because it’s the height of the summer blockbuster season and well, I’m me. We saw Tomorrowland which immediately tapped into several pillars of my childhood fantasies. I actually attended the 1964 World’s Fair in New York City which is the starting point of this Disney vehicle although I think Clooney had more fun on his ride through It’s a Small World than I did. I wanted so much to love this movie because it did tap into those youthful dreams cultivated each Sunday night watching Disney’s Wonderful World of Color.

It just misses though by effectively hiding the message of hope and imagination in an obscure plot. Clooney and the young female lead, Britt Robertson, are very good although they lose each scene they share with Athena (watch out for her in the future). The movie spends too little time in the fantastical Tomorrowland and too much getting the heroes there although it was instructive to learn where Gregory House ended up after his television show ended. The movie briefly soars with a siege at Clooney’s house and a briefly glimpsed commercial but I wanted the whole thing to fly and it didn’t. I’ll see this again and I’m willing to bet I’ll enjoy it more because the wasted need of obscurity will be removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment