Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Itch Scratched

There are few words adequate to describe just how perfect the weather was yesterday. It could be the hangover from the past winter but I found it difficult to stay in my office yesterday; being constantly pulled to wander outside. Granted, downtown Worcester isn’t exactly a garden spot of natural beauty but even worn out ole Worcester couldn’t deflect the day. My wife was more than ready to channel my need to spend time in the great outdoors when I got home from work. I first completed the spreading of the mulch campaign that commenced on Sunday. I was fairly proud of myself until I tried bending over too rapidly. My back was only too ready to remind me I’m fast approaching the big 60.
Mulch Pile Eradicated
My wife was also out in the yard for the entire time rounding her gardens into shape and complaining about the haphazard method I employ to spread mulch. I’ve always felt (erroneously apparently) that if a plant I fated to survive it should be able to force its way through a couple inches of mulch. She worked while talking on the phone non-stop as all of her gardens are strategically placed close enough for the house phone to still work. Buddy was ever present and provided a much appreciated security screen against any random squirrels. Once the mulch was done I mowed the lawn for the first time in 2015. Like most New England lawns when it finally believes the frosts have stopped it grows like crazy to take advantage of it’s all too short a life span. My wife thinks I’m a little irrational because I actually enjoy mowing the lawn. The fact that I have a riding lawn mower is the only reason that applies.

As the sun set (recognizably later each day to a genuine hurrah) I was gerrymandered into gardening duty by the commander in chief. She had three rose bushes and a couple bags of flower bulbs that needed to be interred and while I have nothing approaching a green thumb I come in handy for digging holes (it’s the old infantryman in me).
You mustn’t reveal this to her but I actually enjoy these times in the garden. It’s probably something genetic where I come from a long line of peasants who enjoyed working the land. I’ve always found it strange that people who believe in past lives always seem to have been someone famous. I’m sure my former lives were a lot more mundane, if this itch to garden is any indication.
These last few weeks have been good for the soul if problematic in terms of routine and getting rest. My movie watching has certainly suffered. The trend continues on Friday when my wife and I head out for our first ever ocean cruise, compliments of the favorite son and the ABFA. We’re leaving from Boston and cruising to Bermuda and back. The good news for you, my readers, is that I won’t be blogging while on the ship (you’re very welcome). According to my son, cruise master, while the price of the cruise covers all meals and the cabin, everything else costs the proverbial arm and leg, including a truly staggering internet access cost.

This will then be a true vacation and a chance to get that elusive rest. It will be funny to see my wife cut off from her What’s Up access for a full week. There may even be table conversations where no one draws out the ubiquitous smart phone. I’m really looking forward to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment