Friday, November 14, 2014

Wrapping for Birthday Eve

Tomorrow’s the annual marking of the completion of the gestation cycle which produced moi. I’ll be entering my sixtieth year of life with my 59th birthday and I will refuse to act my age.  As long as I can keep it up I going to combine several of my favorite activities, hanging out with my “kids” and friends, visiting my home town and drinking beer while executing a well-planned pub crawl.  The best birthday gift possible will arrive tonight when we pick up my daughter and wing man in Connecticut and my son arrives home.  I think some pizza, beer, cake and ice cream will be involved.  Needless to say this will mark the start of a two day keto vacation.
Front Yard This Morning
Nature provided its own little gift over night as I awoke to the first snowfall of the season.  Everything was coated in the white stuff and I half expected Aslan to come bounding across the lawn.  It was just Buddy though who absolutely loves snow bounding.  My wife knew I was doing some bit chomping to deploy my snow blower and forbid me from waking the neighbors for the barely two inches which were rapidly dissipating with the rising sun.  The drive into work was almost magical – like driving through some mad confectionary.  It was one of those drives which brings home the importance of taking the time to notice how blessed we are with life.  The snow and enchantment ended, some would say appropriately, as I descended into Worcester.
Back Yard

At First Light
Another Travis McGee novel fell victim to my insatiable need to read John D. McDonald.  The Girl in the Plain Brown Wrapper is quintessential McGee.  He’s summoned as part of a dying lover’s last wish to rescue her daughter.  McGee arrives in sleepy Florida town and soon attracts the attention of the resident bad guys (developers of course).  McGee’s penchant for tragic woman holds true as he wades into the thinly disguised cesspool aided by a good cop with really bad breath.

A passage from McGee cogitating after an unpleasant night’s sleep:  “That is the blessing of morning routines – soap, brush, towel, lather, paste, razor.  Each morning you wake up a slightly different person.  No significantly.  But the dreams and the sleep time rearrange the patterns inside your head.  So what you see in the mirror is almost all you, and three percent stranger.  It takes the comfort of routine to fit yourself back into total familiarity.”

No comments:

Post a Comment