Friday, November 21, 2014

Melancholy Old Friend Visit

I had a strange experience last evening.  One of the gifts I received for my birthday was a gift certificate at a well-known bookstore.  This excited me on a number of levels because since I started up with my Kindle I haven’t patronized what used to be one of my favorite activities in the world - visiting a bookstore.  The book geek in me was excited all day about my pending visit.  Following a later afternoon meeting with the political bosses I made a bee line for the store expecting the same feeling of coming home always got when I entered to check up on old friends, like MacDonald, Sandford, Tolkien, Jordan, to mention but  a few.  
I was saddened to see how the once proud burgeoning book cases were reduced.  They were still there but almost in a gesture towards a quaint age when people actually picked up a book versus the new electronic media.  Book cases comprised only about 30% of this huge store with the rest given over to gadgets and calendars.  Even the smell seemed different, an antiseptic, almost too clean odor.  I remembered the pungent, slightly musty smell of all those pages welcoming me and offering transport to the incredible places bound only by my imagination.  I know I’m part of that generational move away from reading actual books and I felt guilty – like I’d let an old friend down.  I apologetically cruised up and down every book aisle even after I’d found what I wanted.  I felt like saying goodbye to the cherished vestige of something that sustained me for so many years.

My wife extended her stay up in Maine for an additional day. That comes in the “no huge surprise” department.  When you put the musqueteras together it becomes scientifically difficult to separate them from each other.  It’s rarely done on a voluntary basis.  She’s going to ply her newly discovered long range driving skills today to return home.  I just talked to her and she’s not even stressing – yet another epoch level event.  Is nothing in my life sacred from change? 
Well it is First Friday!!!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment