Sunday, November 23, 2014

Old and New Illusions

A fairly quiet day yesterday until I was savagely thrust into the role of partner to the dancing queen I’m blessed to be married to; more on that later.  The frigid Saturday also saw the last ride of the season on the lawn tractor as the pesky leaves that withstood the gale force winds of the past week were mowered up and assigned to their resting place in the rear wood line. My wife opined that I made quite a sight as I motored around the yard in full winter gear.
Old Friends
I warmed up back in the house with some college football and a fun visit with some old television friends.  The Keene Friend gave me the complete original Addams Family television series.  I remember watching this on Friday nights growing up and it’s still pretty funny although it has to have the most annoying laugh track in television history.  Our son called with some remarkable work news as well that completed the warm up.  More will be divulged on that in subsequent days.
I also caught a documentary on Lance Armstrong called Stop at Nothing.  It was a fascinating look at the disgraced icon who is fully exposed as almost completely evil, destroying people’s lives to hide the truth about his cheating.  It’s an insightful look into society’s need for heroes and the lengths the media will go to force a good news story on us; even if the facts don’t fit the convenient story.  It’s a withering statement on the idiocy of treating celebrities as modern day godlike figures. 
Maxwell's
Now to that whole dancing thing, I was so happy to have her back home from her Maine sojourn that I readily acquiesced to one of our Maxwell Silverman’s dancing evenings.  I failed to properly monitor departure time though as she went through a nearly three hour decision process on what was appropriate attire.  It was nearly 9:30pm by the time we arrived.  We had our usual good time with the eclectic crowd of the middle aged, the lonely, a couple octogenarians, and the odd bachelorette party.  We stayed until 1am which becomes problematic as a younger, rougher crowd shows up around midnight. 
It seems one of the new trends in youthful exuberance is to stand around the fringe of the dance floor with drinks to talk and profile.  It’s usually behavior you see as people crowd around a bar but the bar was almost deserted as these bozos blocked access to the dance floor and acted like this was normal.  My wife dominated on the dance floor despite this as I was again assumed my usual role as training aide trying to keep up with her.  A fun night.


No comments:

Post a Comment