Thursday, March 1, 2012

Snow Night and Day

Finally Got to Use the Beast!
Well, on the 1st day of March we received the first significant snow storm of the winter.  Buddy was ecstatic – he was asking to go outside last night every ten minutes.  This morning I finally got to use my favorite toy – the tractor mounted snow blower – see picture.  I also did the driveways for two other neighbors – I was psyched!!  Buddy did not like the noise and chose to interrupt his goal of sniffing every single snow flake that fell, to observe from inside.  My sister came through her surgery yesterday in great shape and was mildly medicated when I talked to her last night, safely home ensconced in her husband’s easy chair and uniquely being waited on by the men in her house instead of vice versa.  The first three buses I inspected out in California last week arrived yesterday.  I noted the difference in weather as I signed off last week in 75 degree California and signed the final forms yesterday in a driving snow storm.  My wife grilled me on the phone last night about health of her plants.  She has tried to make New England a little more like Panama by having a lot of house plants which require a degree of attention.  Her biggest concern leaving for over a month was the health of those plants in my not totally dedicated hands.  Realizing my health depended on doing the right thing I have been very good about that and even revealed that her favorite plants – bougainvilleas – were blooming in her absence – she demanded photographic proof – see blow.  I sat home last night clearing out the DVR list that had built up.  It was kind of weird to watch in succession Modern Family, House, Californication, Justified, and This Old House.  I think in the future I’ll put some thought into the order instead of watching the oldest first.  Californication is so funny, Hank Moody is just a complete train wreck!  As I was watching I received a phone call from out of the blue from a former ROTC cadet.  I last saw him in 1992 when he graduated.  I was his ROTC instructor and when I arrived he was on the verge of getting kicked out of the program.  The senior instructor told me not to waste my time with him as he just didn’t “have it.”  I took him on as a project because I saw a little of myself in him.  He needed a little guidance and I rode him hard – demanding a lot from him.  He turned it around and I think all he wanted was for someone to care about him – to see some potential.  He called me last night as he was leaving Fort Leavenworth, just graduated from a prestigious Army school, and was headed for Fort Bliss where he will shortly deploy for the third time to Afghanistan.  He was recently selected for Lieutenant Colonel and has been happily married with two kids for a number of years.  He said he wanted to thank me for believing in him and that whenever he achieved something in the Army he felt like reaching out to me to thank me for that belief.  I told him that he had more than redeemed that belief by what he was doing for our country.  The conversation made me feel good – that I had made a difference, at least in this guy’s life.   I also finished off another puzzle last night - thank God for these puzzles - they've really helped pass the time in my wife's absence.  The commute into work today was high adventure – maybe one snow storm per winter is enough.

Buddy on Snow Inspection Duty
Buddy in Hot Pursuit of Front Yard Squirrels
Buddy in Full Frolic Mode
They Survived!
Latest Puzzle Completed

No comments:

Post a Comment