Thursday, March 8, 2012

Long Night’s Journey Into Day - Panama Day 2

Today's Bus Trip Starting from Panama City and Ending in David
We executed my wife’s plan to travel to her hometown today.  To say it had a few holes would be a huge understatement – but it all worked out.  I was operating on three hours sleep yesterday due to the trip down to Panama.  We stayed up celebrating with family until 11pm and then headed back to the hotel.  She left a 3:30am wakeup call so we could catch the 4am bus to David, Panama, our ultimate destination.  I was dragging a little (read a lot) when we arrived at the station to learn the first bus was at 5:30am.  So we got to hang out at the early morning bus station but we were able to score some french fires at a place called Pio Pio.  There were some very interesting life forms operating at that time.  We finally got on the bus which is usually a torture chamber for me because the seats are usually way too small for me.  I was so happily surprised to find some very wide and comfortable seats waiting.  I happily passed the first three hours of the trip sound asleep.  As we got closer to my wife’s home province we saw evidence of the recent Indian surprising where the natives blocked the Pan-American Highway to protest some Panamanian Government actions.  There were numerous trees felled beside the road that had been used for barricades.  I also noticed a great deal more native dresses than I had seen before; probably an indication of reawakened cultural identity.  I love traveling back to Panama – the Panamanians are some of the warmest and friendliest people in the world.  We stopped a couple times on the seven hour trip and I always get a kick out of the side looks I get.  I usually at least a foot taller than most of the people surrounding me here so I stand out a little.  We arrived to a great reception from my wife’s parents and sisters.  My wife is stressing a little about feeding me because I am a famously picky eater and since we are in Lent I’m not allowed to eat meat on Friday.  I was taking a little more cavalier approach during her absence but the rules are back.  She’s heading out to the store to see if she can score some fish sticks.
The Dresses That were So Much in Evidence Today

No comments:

Post a Comment