Monday, December 5, 2011

Weekend Getaway

The Hot Chocolate Place
We spent the weekend up visiting my son in Portsmouth, New Hampshire and had a simply fantastic time.  He lives in a small apartment just steps away from the quaint center of this old New England port which has transformed itself into a social destination for the seacoast region.  We were within walking distance of the center of town with its collection of bars, shops, and scenery.  Friday night we ate a dinner prepared by our son’s fabulous girlfriend who lives a couple of streets away in another very interesting apartment.  The dinner was great and the company even better.  We then took a cold walk to downtown where they had found a place with a live band playing Latin music.  My son knows how much his mother loves to dance and she was genuinely touched that he took note of this place and then planned for us to go there.  The dance floor was packed but my wife was undaunted and soon had us dancing in the aisles between tables.  She also went over and introduced herself to the band – got their card in case of future gigs with her group of Latino friends.  My wife is the most gregarious person I have ever known.  Saturday, unfortunately our son had to work early in the morning so we just hung out at his place.  I even got to work on a puzzle, something I loved doing as a kid but hadn’t done in decades.  It’s a little tougher now, especially since I didn’t have my reading glasses with me.  Our son returned in time to take us out for lunch and then, joined by his girlfriend, we took a long walk around the picturesque port and scored some well received hot chocolate in the middle of the town.  We took in the annual town Christmas parade, which was great Americana and it seemed like the whole town turned out to enjoy the season.  The parade even included a bagpipe band, need I say more!?  Our son took us out for dinner to a renovated old world type restaurant called The Library.  I loved the décor which was all carved mahogany from the turn of the century.  This place had hosted presidents as far back as George Washington and just had a great ambiance. I had the best steak I have had in years; go to this place if you're ever in Portsmouth.  We ended this great evening in a wine bar which also served beer, thankfully.  Several groups of my son’s and girlfriend’s friends stopped by to join us. I really enjoyed talking with these young people and I was impressed by their maturity and common sense.  There was one who didn’t impress me, but he’s studying to be a lawyer, so it’s almost expected.  Good times thanks to the efforts and thought of my son and his girlfriend.  My wife and I were touched that they would devote so much time and effort to make us feel so special.  Yesterday Buddy returned home and promptly resumed his role in terrorizing the front yard squirrels.  One of those weekends you don’t want to end.
The Interior of the Library Restaurant - Right Where We were Sitting


No comments:

Post a Comment