Saturday, December 17, 2011

Power of Demon Alcohol

Well the novacaine did eventually wear off.  The pain was bearable and I left work a little early to get ready for the office Christmas party.  My wife and I were about 10 minutes out from the house when she discovered that she had forgotten to put on her earrings.  Apparently this is a big deal even though you can’t see her ears behind her hair. She pleaded and we returned home for the elusive earrings.   We arrived late at the party but immediately felt welcomed back to a group we left three years ago as if we had never left.  After a few beers I discovered the pain had dulled into the deep background.  I attributed this beneficial effect to the beer and decided to have several more.  We had a great time and I even hijacked the majority of my wife’s chicken parmesan.   Today was another party as we headed down to Rhode Island for the birthday party of a good friend.  Once again the medicinal power of alcohol manifested itself and we enjoyed a peaceful afternoon with some old and new friends.  The crowd was an interesting mix of cultures:  Portuguese, Panamanian, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Japanese, Greek, and Italian.  There was a bevy of kids running around at the same time the hosts were trying to trim their Christmas tree.  There was even a professional photographer who set up a mini studio in a room.  He was a friend of the host and we were ushered into the studio where the photographer picked up a musical instrument and started playing the love theme from the Godfather.  The term “surreal” leaped to the mind at this point.  He said he wanted to get us in the mood for a truly memorable photo, he was an interesting guy and I kind of liked his style.  He promised to have the photos ready for download tomorrow so I’ll let you be the judges then.  The pain is almost completely gone now – I look forward to the day I can chew on both sides of my mouth again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment