Friday, December 2, 2011

I Miss My Dog

Buddy

We’re heading up to New Hampshire to spend the weekend with our son.  Unfortunately his apartment does not allow pets so we had to take Buddy down to Rhode Island last night to spend some time with my sister.  I had a business dinner last night so we didn’t even get on the road until well after eight.  I know I’ve written before about my love of dogs but it gets tougher every time I have to be away from him.  Interestingly last night it was obvious that my wife was having the same difficulty I was.  Since she retired she has come to appreciate what good company Buddy is around the house while I’m away at work.  He does this, as with most dogs, just by being there.  He was hurling himself at the door as we left and that felt almost like a betrayal on my part.  He loves being at my sister’s house where he is treated like royalty but we were leaving and he didn’t like that.  This morning as I went through my normal early morning routine there was a large part missing.  I didn’t have Buddy around to share my observations with or see him hurtling down the hill in his daily frantic, but always futile attack on the front yard squirrels when I went out to get the newspaper.  I miss him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment