Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Dental Root Caused Analysis

I had a routine dental appointment this morning, just the semi-annual cleaning that was scheduled six months ago.  I swear that once something like that goes on your calendar it attracts other events.  The catalytic effect today attracted a staff meeting that I had to reschedule and two hearings with union officials that I had to rush back for.  It all made for an eventful high speed ride to the dentist’s office.  The whole time I was slightly altering the accepted speed limits I was asking myself why I was hurrying to such an unpleasant event.  Every other time I’ve gone to this dentist I end up waiting for at least 15 to 20 minutes, so today of course, I walk in three minutes late and have to face the castigating stare of the receptionist who informs me they have been waiting for me.  I “bite off” several rejoinders, remembering these people will shortly have me at their mercy.  (Editorial note:  the people in my dentist’s office are some of the nicest people in the world – I am expressing some artistic license).  I mention to the dental hygienist that I have been feeling some discomfort in one of my molars.  Several x-rays later, the hygienist tells me it looks great with no problems she can detect.  The dentist walks in, demonstrating why she gets the big bucks, and says probably the last thing you want to hear at that point, “I’ve got some bad news.”  I’m sure she’s not talking about the color of the examination room, which involves a truly unfortunate choice in colors.  I momentarily think about asking the hygienist to argue for my side but decide that is not a likely source of support.  Besides, the dentist has played this perfectly, she waited until I was lying in the chair with my feet elevated and head lowered for the hygienist to do her excavations.  She stands right above my head so I have to converse with her while looking up from a position with the top of my head in the vicinity of her upper thighs.  Not the strongest position to argue any point.  The dentist explains that I have a fairly serious infection inside my tooth that will require either an extraction or a root canal procedure.  She assures me this is very serious and should be taken care of within the next week.  She insists I am in more pain than I am admitting to and puts me on antibiotics and gives me a prescription for vicodin if the pain gets too bad (jeez – is it starting to hurt now?).  After consulting with the hygienist (I like her opinions better) I opt for the root canal which will happen on Friday, luckily the same day as the office Christmas party!  I have to admit that from the moment she told me about this I was calculating how to get this behind me before Christmas time because I did not want it impacting on my ability to enjoy the holiday (i.e. drink beer).  I think it is overwhelming evidence of how much I enjoy Christmas in that I briefly considered extraction versus root canal because that would reach terminus more quickly.   I would be more than willing to sacrifice some ivory for the sake of yuletide bliss.  At any rate, I hope you’re having a better day than I did.   

No comments:

Post a Comment