Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Unwatchable - The National Basketball Association

Where Have you Gone, Sam Jones?
The NBA started back up and I have to ask the question, “Who cares?”   This league has descended rapidly over the past decade to a point where I would rather watch anything else.  The league fell for marketing almost exclusively to a demographic that will eventually lead to the league’s demise and I for one will say good riddance.  Basketball is a beautiful game when played as intended as a team game with all five players working together.  You can still see this in college basketball and I love watching those games.  The NBA has turned into what we used to call “street ball” where whoever gets the ball shoots, with minimal passing, and no team defense.  There is so much “profiling” where players taunt or try to intimidate other players that sportsmanship has been eradicated.  The NFL early on figured out that allowing this type behavior would hurt the league and aggressively moved to eliminate it.  That league is flourishing now because it appeals to a broad section of society with admirable behavior rewarded and aberrant types marginalized.   The NBA sold its soul when it allowed the superstars to dictate how the game would be played.  It made a rapist, Kobe Bryant, its marquee player and celebrated him.  This reached its nadir with the decision show featuring Lebron James, which elevated self-indulgence to historic heights.  The game is now thuggish and seems to cater to the worst elements of society.  Referees call the game differently for the superstars, routinely allowing carries, palming the ball, and travelling.  This didn’t happen suddenly but it’s something that really bugs me.  One of the most memorable experiences of my life occurred when I actually got to sit on the Celtics bench between Sam Jones and Bill Russell.  The Celtics were reining world champs and would tour New England towns during the preseason for practice scrimmages.  They came to my home town and my dad took me to the game.  All my friends were showing off some of the autographs they got.  I didn’t want an autograph but I did want to shake hands with Sam Jones whom I idolized.  Near the end of the game I walked over to the Celtics bench during a time out and asked Sam for a handshake.  He quickly did that and then told me to sit down next to him on the bench.  Bill Russell the player coach at the time and another idol of mine, sat on the other side and we watched the last 90 seconds of the scrimmage game together.  I got up dazed and walked back to my father with all my friends looking at me.  That was such a special moment and did more to make me an NBA fan than anything else possibly could have.  Today I feel betrayed when I look in on the game, I think Sam probably does too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment