Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Movies


You all know that I am a complete movie nut and as well as a huge fan of Christmas.  Christmas is one of the most explored themes in cinema history and there are some very good movies as well as some of the all time worst movies ever made (Santa Claus versus the Martians – c’mon!).  Everyone has their own favorite because Christmas means different things to different people.  For me Christmas is about the love of family and being with the people you love.  It seems everyone puts out their own list so here goes mine.  If your movie is not on the list, don’t be offended – it’s my list:

The Holiday – great story where the two leads, Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet, swap homes for the holidays and find love in their borrowed homes.  Anytime you can link a love story with Christmas you’re one target and they do it several levels here.

Christmas Vacation – funniest Christmas movie ever as Clark Griswold tries to capture the perfect Christmas in the face of a truly challenging family.  Some of the best satire about the over indulgence of Christmas and families but done with love and care.  The overall message is Christmas endures – even in the face of cousin Eddie.

Christmas Story – just a totally heartwarming story told from the point of view of a nine year old kid who is totally focused on his dream gift of a BB gun.  Darren MacGavin is awesome as the 1960s father stirring up the holiday storm in the house.  What kid doesn’t remember that one gift he just had to have.

Home Alone – I just love this movie about an abandoned kid who learns the importance of family while defending his home against some hapless thieves.  The scene of the scary neighbor reuniting with his estranged son at the end of the movie brings a tear to my eye every time I see it.

The Santa Clause – I was prepared to hate this movie when it first came out but it works because it deals with a father’s love and what Christmas should be about.  The Santa legend is one of the best things about growing up as a kid in America and this movie tells it with style and an abiding love.  Those holier than thou idiots who bemoan Santa’s existence are sad; it’s because you don’t believe and you’re poorer because of it.

Love Actually – the best Christmas movie ever made, my family watches it together every Christmas eve.  Eight different couples finding love over the holidays is a perfect combination of what Christmas is all about.  I wish the nude stand-ins were covered up a little more so this could be more of a family movie but I love that story line as well.  The Colin Firth storyline is similar to my own courtship of my wife.  I can see this movie a hundred times and still want more.

Well that’s my list.  I hope you all have the opportunity to spend the holidays with the people you love because that is more important than any gift.  It really is the best gift of all.  Share yourself with the people you love, reach out to the people that mean the most to you, let them know.  I’m heading home soon to do just that.  Merry Christmas to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment