Friday, December 9, 2011

Some Perspective Please

I know I’ve ranted about the state of the news industry before but I was again appalled today, this time by the local media.  We had a terrible tragedy yesterday here in Worcester where a brave fireman was killed going into a burning house to rescue a reportedly trapped resident.  When I woke up today the local newspaper did a great job of in depth reporting on the event.  They covered the actual fire, the code violations of the house involved, and even the problematic residents.  So I was actually angry when the lead stories on all the local broadcast media was about the Occupy Boston idiots losing a court battle.  I was actually mildly sympathetic when the Occupy movement first cranked up.  I understood their frustration with a financial system that had performed so poorly over the last few decades.  That sympathy eroded when the movement was hijacked by a fringe element of self entitled anarchists whose only platform seemed to be to tear down the system.  They didn’t want to pay their debts and wanted everything given to them because for no other reason than they wanted it.  American society was founded on and has thrived on a bedrock principle of the work ethic.  Work hard and with enough talent you can go far.  I know this dream is periodically battered by opportunists but historically we’ve always emerged.  I know it’s a flawed system but I’ve been all over the world and there is nothing even remotely better.  Europe is still afflicted with a class society that works but is a dead end for the aspirations of some of their most talented.  The Third World is still in the process of defining itself but most look to America, with all its flaws, as an example, not to tear down, but to emulate.  The news media let us down again today – those morons occupying Dewey Square were not worthy of mention in the same news as Firefighter Jon D. Davies.
Firefighter Jon D. Davies - R.I.P - Thank you for your Service

No comments:

Post a Comment